We rate Travelers a 4.5 out of 5.0 and award it “Best Coverage Choices” for 2023 due to its wide variety of car insurance coverage options and programs.
Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
In this Travelers auto insurance review, we examine the company’s coverage, discounts, customer service, and more. We’ll also take a look at how it stacks up against the best car insurance and cheapest car insurance companies in the industry.
Keep reading for rate estimates, coverage options, and real reviews of the Travelers customer experience.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
Travelers Auto Insurance Reviews
We gave Travelers a 4.5 out of 5.0 rating due to its industry standing, availability, coverage, affordability, customer service, and online experience. Because Travelers provides an array of unique coverage options for drivers, we named it “Best Coverage Choices” for 2023.
|Review Category||Ratings Score|
Is Travelers Insurance Good?
Yes, Travelers car insurance can be an excellent option for most drivers. This is because the company offers one of the widest ranges of discount and coverage options in the industry, with unique offerings like new car replacement, accident forgiveness, rideshare coverage, and named non-owner coverage.
Travelers Insurance Ratings and Reviews
Travelers holds an A rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), meaning it meets the BBB’s standards for resolving customer complaints in Travelers insurance reviews on the site. It has a customer review score of 1.1 out of 5 stars, which is fairly low, but only about 150 customers have rated the company. Travelers is a multi-billion-dollar corporation, so this is likely not an accurate representation of how all customers feel.
In addition, Travelers holds an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best, which means it regularly works with customers to resolve issues and has a superior ability to pay out claims.
Travelers Insurance Customer Satisfaction
We did see more than a few Travelers insurance reviews from policyholders that took issue with how the company handled insurance claims. Those reviews seem to be supported by the company’s performance in the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM. In the study, Travelers scored 854 out of a possible 1,000 points, which was below the provider average of 873.
In addition, we polled over 6,900 respondents in 2022 to determine their satisfaction with their car insurance provider. Around 1.5% of respondents reported they had a Travelers auto insurance policy. The Travelers policyholders rated their overall customer satisfaction with the company a 4.2 out of 5.0, which was the same as the insurance company industry average.
Travelers Insurance Customer Reviews
When people reported a fulfilling customer experience in their Travelers insurance reviews, they typically mentioned professional, attentive service. Many negative Travelers insurance reviews have to do with specific situations in which customers are dissatisfied with their claims and customer service experiences.
Positive Travelers Insurance Reviews
“I am nothing but impressed with your claims specialist K*****. From the start of the process to the ending I felt nothing but satisfied with her handling of the matter. She immediately contacted me after my claim, let me know I was a top priority…”
– David P., via BBB
“[I’ve] been with Travelers for probably 30 years for auto insurance and have made three claims for totaled cars. They have been excellent to deal with, responsive, informative, and fair. So far, I’m very happy with them.”
– David A., via BBB
Negative Travelers Insurance Reviews
“After many years with Travelers, we have decided to end our… policy with them. The claims department was the worst and most inefficient department I have dealt with in the insurance industry in all my years having to deal with unfortunate circumstances.”
– Lilly G. via BBB
“Travelers canceled our insurance and claimed that they sent us letters notifying us of the cancellation. We never received the letters.”– AE, via BBB
About Travelers Insurance
Travelers Insurance was founded in 1864 and today is one of the biggest car insurance companies in the country and is available in 43 states. The company offers an array of insurance products home insurance, renters insurance, condo insurance, motorcycle insurance, boat and yacht insurance, flood insurance, and more. With Travelers, drivers can expect to find several discount options and a safe driving app to help motorists save money on car insurance.
Travelers Insurance Coverage
Travelers offers plenty of options for drivers. The company offers basic liability insurance policies for drivers who want only to satisfy state minimum insurance requirements and a portfolio of optional add-ons for those who want to build a more comprehensive auto insurance policy.
Here’s a look at the standard auto insurance coverage available to drivers:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: Covers other parties’ medical expenses after an accident where you are at fault
- Property damage liability coverage: Covers other parties’ property damage after an accident where you are at fault
- Collision coverage: Pays for your own vehicle to be repaired or replaced after an accident, regardless of who is at fault
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers your vehicle and some valuable items inside if it’s stolen or damaged in an incident that’s not a collision, such as a flood or vandalism
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Covers certain medical expenses, lost wages, and funeral expenses after an accident, regardless of who is at fault
- Medical payments (MedPay): Covers medical bills and funeral expenses for yourself and your passengers after an accident, regardless of who is at fault
- Uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist coverage: Covers medical and personal property damage expenses if the at-fault driver in an accident can’t be identified or does not have the proper insurance coverage
Travelers Car Insurance Coverage Options
Travelers also offers several useful coverage options to help cover some of the other costs related to owning and driving your car, including:
- Rental coverage: Reimburses you for a rental car if your car is in the shop after an accident
- New Car Replacement®: Helps replace your new car if it is totaled in the first five years of ownership
- Accident forgiveness: Gives drivers accident forgiveness and minor violation forgiveness through the Responsible Driver package
- Gap insurance: Helps cover what you owe on your financed or leased vehicle if it’s totaled in an accident
- Roadside assistance: Covers emergency roadside assistance services such as lockouts, battery jump-starts, fuel deliveries, towing, and more
- Rideshare coverage: Insures your vehicle if you use it as part of a transportation service such as Uber or Lyft (only available in Colorado and Illinois)
The claims process at Travelers is pretty straightforward. Following an accident, policyholders just need to follow a few steps:
- Contact Travelers: Once you are sure everyone is safe and out of harm’s way, contact Travelers about your accident. You can do this either over the phone, on the Travelers website, or through the Travelers mobile app.
- Wait to hear back: After filing a claim, a Travelers claim professional will contact you. They’ll talk to you about the facts of the accident along with the coverages that apply to the situation.
- Get a damage appraisal: Travelers offers a video damage assessment in some cases so you don’t need to wait for an appraiser to come to you. In many places, you can also use the company’s Direct Repair Program. This program connects you with a network of affiliated repair shops that can offer damage assessments and repairs.
- Get your vehicle repaired: After an assessment, it’s time to get your vehicle repaired. Your claims professional can recommend some repair shops in your area to you.
- Use your Travelers insurance: Travelers will pay you, the repair shop, or—in the event of a total loss—the leaseholder or lienholder on your vehicle.
Travelers Auto Insurance Cost
Our rate estimates show that Travelers costs are about average compared to the broader market. Good drivers can find rates around $139 per month or $1,669 per year, which is slightly lower than the national average rate is $1,730. These estimates apply to full coverage insurance for 35-year-old drivers with good credit and driving records.
Travelers Insurance Rates
Travelers car insurance rates are dependent on several individual factors like your location, driving history, and age. That’s why the cost of car insurance changes from person to person. For example, if you’ve had multiple DUIs or other traffic violations over the last three years, you can expect to pay more for car insurance than a safe driver.
The sections below provide average cost estimates for drivers in various age groups and driving situations.
Travelers Car Insurance Rates for High-Risk Drivers
Your driving record is one of the biggest factors considered by car insurance companies when determining car insurance costs. However, during our in-depth industry research, we found that Travelers estimates are far below the national average for drivers with a recent speeding ticket, at-fault accident, or DUI on their record.
The table below shows monthly and annual cost estimates for Travelers car insurance for different drivers’ situations.
|Driving Situation||Travelers Average Monthly Cost Estimate||Travelers Average Annual Cost Estimate||National Average Annual Cost Estimate|
Travelers Car Insurance Rates by Age
Age is another factor that significantly impacts car insurance rates from Travelers. In fact, if you are a young driver, you can expect to pay thousands of dollars more for coverage than an experienced driver in their 30s, according to our rate data.
The table below compares monthly and annual costs for a full coverage policy by age.
|Age||Travelers Average Monthly Cost Estimate||Travelers Average Annual Cost Estimate|
Travelers Car Insurance Rates by State
Another big thing that affects what you pay for Travelers auto insurance is the state in which you live. Some states have average costs that are double those of other states. This is because states have different regulations, population densities, climates, and more.Below, you can see how Travelers compares to average costs in 25 states. Travelers car insurance is about average or slightly cheaper in most cases. However, in some states, it can be much cheaper than the average.
|State||State Average Cost Estimate||Travelers Cost Estimate|
Is Travelers Insurance Expensive?
According to our cost research, Travelers tends to be an affordable insurance company for most drivers. Its rates are 3% below the national average for a full coverage car insurance policy.
Travelers Insurance Rates Comparison
Below, you can see how Travelers compares to other insurance companies on the market. It’s not the most expensive option overall, but it might not be the cheapest, either.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Car Insurance Cost Estimate||Average Annual Car Insurance Cost Estimate|
Travelers Auto Insurance Quote
We always recommend getting quotes from multiple providers before making a decision because insurers use a variety of factors to calculate individual rates. These factors include the following:
- Coverage options: You can save money by only getting the state minimum required coverage. But such limited coverage can put you at financial risk. Additional coverage costs more but offers more protection.
- Coverage limits: When you raise the maximum amount your insurer will pay out following an accident, your premiums go up too.
- Deductible: Generally, the lower you set your deductible, the higher your premium will be.
- Driving history: Your driving record plays a large role in your insurance premiums. Drivers with a recent at-fault accident or traffic violation will pay higher rates for insurance.
- Age: Young drivers and especially teen drivers pay much higher premiums than middle-aged drivers. Senior drivers also tend to pay higher rates.
- Location: Even within the same state, drivers from different ZIP codes will get different rates. That’s because insurance providers tend to charge more to drivers in urban areas than those in rural areas.
- Credit history: While it is outlawed in some states, insurers in most states can use your credit score to determine your rates. People with lower credit scores usually get higher rates.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
Travelers Auto Insurance Discounts
Like most insurers, Travelers offers a selection of discounts that can help bring down the cost of your car insurance policy. If you’re not sure if you qualify for a discount, you can always speak to a local agent and get a free quote.
In the table below, you’ll find a list of some of the discounts Travelers offers. Note that the availability of discounts can vary between locations. Some of the discounts in the table may not be available, and you may find others that aren’t listed here.
|Travelers Insurance Discount||Discount Details|
|Multi-Policy Discount||Get up to a 13% discount by bundling other insurance products such as your condo, renters, or other home insurance policy with Travelers.|
|Multi-Car Discount||Get up to an 8% discount for having two or more cars on the same policy.|
|Home Ownership Discount||Get up to 5% off your policy if you own a home or condo,even if it’s not insured by Travelers.|
|Safe Driver Discount||Get up to 10% off for having a clean driving record.|
|Continuous Insurance Discount||Get up to 15% off for not having any gaps in your coverage.|
|Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Discount||Save for owning a hybrid or electric vehicle.|
|New Car Discount||Get up to a 10% discount for owning a newer model of a vehicle.|
|Automatic Payments and Paid-in-Full Discounts||Get up to 7.5% off your policy for paying in full, 2 to 3% offfor paying through an electronic funds transfer or payroll deduction,or 15% off for consistently paying your premium on time.|
|Early Quote||Get 3 to 10% off for getting a quote from Travelers before your current policy expires.|
|Good Student Discount||Get an 8% discount for being a full-time high school or college studentand maintaining a B average or higher.|
|Student Away at School Discount||Get a 7% discount if one of your dependents goes to school at least 100 miles awayand leaves their vehicle at home.|
|Driver Training Discount||Get up to an 8% discount for completing an approved driver safety course.|
Because auto insurance rates are so personalized, the cheapest insurer for you may not be the cheapest for your neighbor. We recommend you get free quotes from Travelers and other top insurance companies to compare rates and pick the best deal for you.
Travelers Insurance IntelliDrive Program
The Travelers IntelliDrive program is a way to save money on your car insurance by monitoring and improving your driving habits. Over a 90-day period, a mobile app will track your driving habits, looking for unsafe activities like accelerating too fast or braking too hard.
Maintaining safe driving habits can net you up to 30%, according to Travelers’ website. However, IntelliDrive can also cause your premiums to go up if you engage in some driving habits that Travelers deems unsafe. That list includes driving late at night, so be sure to consider your own habits and lifestyle before enrolling in the program.
Travelers Car Insurance Reviews: Conclusion
With an overall score of 4.5 out of 5.0 stars, Travelers auto insurance finished among the top five providers in our industry-wide car insurance study. The company earned especially high marks for its coverage, winning it the award for Best Coverage Choices.
Customer experience reviews for Travelers are somewhat mixed, but this is the case for many top insurance companies. If you live in one of the 43 states in which Travelers operates, the company is certainly worth getting an insurance quote from to see what they offer.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
Travelers Insurance Competitors: Recommended Providers
With competitive rates and lots of coverage options, Travelers car insurance may be a great option for many drivers. But even if the company seems like the provider for you, it’s worth getting free quotes from a few others to compare. We recommend considering two of the top performers from our auto insurance study.
State Farm: Best Overall
State Farm earned the highest overall score in our most recent car insurance study, winning the company the award for Best Overall. The nation’s largest insurer offers competitive rates in all 50 states and features the country’s largest network of local insurance offices and agents. People who have younger drivers on their policies will especially want to get a car insurance quote from State Farm, as the company offers some of the best discounts for teens, students, and other young drivers.
Keep reading: State Farm car insurance review
GEICO: Best Discount Selection
Throughout our most recent auto insurance study, GEICO consistently offered some of the lowest rate estimates around the country. The company also features one of the widest and most diverse selections of discounts of any provider in our study, which is why it earned the award for Best Discount Selection. That means that GEICO’s already-affordable coverage is likely to be even cheaper for most drivers in most places.
Keep reading: GEICO car insurance review
Travelers Auto Insurance: FAQ
Below are frequently asked questions about Travelers insurance reviews.
Is Travelers Insurance a reputable company?
Yes, Travelers is one of the most well-known names in insurance and it’s among the largest providers of car insurance providers in the nation. The company offers an array of car insurance coverage and discount opportunities for drivers. It also has a solid reputation in the industry with strong industry ratings from the BBB and AM Best.
Are Travelers good with claims?
Based on our research, several Travelers insurance reviews show that policyholders have had issues with the claims process. This is also supported by data in the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, where the provider scored below average for claims satisfaction.
What is Travelers’ NAIC number?
The principal Travelers NAIC number is 25658. This is the unique number the NAIC gives to insurers to identify them.
What is the number for Travelers insurance complaints?
You can voice your Travelers insurance complaints to the company’s customer support phone number at 1(800)842-5075. You can contact your local insurance agent directly.
What is the Travelers insurance claims number?
The Travelers insurance claims number is 1(800)252-4633, which you can call to report or check on a claim. You can also use the My Travelers mobile app.
Is Travelers owned by GEICO?
No, Travelers is not owned by GEICO. While they both sell a robust selection of insurance products, they are separate companies and direct competitors.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car insurance providers.
- Affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team considers auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services and discount opportunities when giving this score.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that a car insurance company offers an array of coverage options. We take into account types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Industry Standing: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, financial strength, and years in business when giving this score.
- Availability: Auto insurers with greater state availability and few eligibility requirements are more likely to meet consumer needs.
- Customer Service: Reputable car insurance providers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We consider complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), J.D. Power claims servicing scores, and customer feedback.
- Online Experience: Insurers with easy-to-use websites and highly rated mobile apps scored best in this category.