GEICO earns a 4.6 out of 5.0-star rating and recognition for “Best Discount Selection” in 2023 for its discount and savings opportunities for drivers.
Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
Are you considering an auto insurance policy with GEICO? In this article, we’ll take a close look at GEICO car insurance reviews, costs, coverage options, and more. We’ll also discuss how the auto insurer covers drivers and handles claims, as well as what real-life customers have to say about their plans to help you decide if this insurance provider might be right for you.
No matter which provider you choose, it’s wise to compare quotes from the best car insurance and cheapest car insurance companies to get the best rates.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
Geico Auto Insurance Reviews
We give GEICO a rating of 4.6 out of 5.0 and name it “Best Discount Selection” of 2023. The company’s 4.6-star rating was aggregated from six critical areas of performance that are team looked at, including industry standing, availability, coverage, affordability, customer service, and online experience.
|Review Category||Ratings Score|
Is GEICO Insurance Good?
With decades of experience in the insurance industry, GEICO is a solid choice for most drivers. It ranks third in our industry-wide study of the best car insurance companies, behind State Farm and USAA. GEICO has various coverage options for drivers and scores well in consumer studies focused on customer service and claims handling. In addition, our research shows that Geico has the third-lowest premiums on average, making it a good option if you’re looking for affordable coverage.
GEICO Customer Ratings
While GEICO has a solid reputation and scores well in consumer studies, not all of its ratings and reviews are positive. The provider holds an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but does not hold accreditation with the company. On GEICO’s BBB page, common complaints included slow claims processing and poor roadside assistance experiences.
While the company may have low Trustpilot and BBB customer review scores, this does not necessarily indicate poor customer service. Both scores are based on fewer than 500 GEICO insurance reviews – less than one percent of GEICO’s total customers.
GEICO Customer Satisfaction
Our research shows that most GEICO customers are satisfied with their insurance policy. In August 2022, we polled nearly 7,000 respondents, asking them about their overall satisfaction with their car insurance provider. We found that over 16% of those who participated had a GEICO insurance policy. The participants rated GEICO 4.1 out of 5.0 for overall customer satisfaction.
GEICO J.D. Power Rating
According to the 2022 J.D. Power Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM, GEICO scored 874 out of a possible 1,000 points, which was just above the national average of 873. Customers reported their experiences with local agents and call center representatives as above average compared to insurance companies such as Liberty Mutual, Nationwide, and Allstate.
Geico Customer Reviews
We combed through GEICO car insurance reviews across various sites and found that many mention the quality of GEICO’s website and service agents. However, GEICO’s customer service is not always consistent.
Positive GEICO Insurance Reviews
When people reported a satisfying customer experience with GEICO, they tended to bring up helpful agents. This customer review is indicative of many that we read:
“I was involved in an accident while on vacation in Florida last month. The Florida GEICO adjuster was extremely helpful, professional, and caring. Thanks to her, I was able to continue my trip without worrying about being treated fairly. She was honest about what I could expect and was very familiar with both Florida law and my New York policy. All of my questions were answered in a timely fashion and eased my mind. … As far as I’m concerned, GEICO has won a customer for life due to her professionalism and the service the company provides.”
– MauiJim (GEICO customer of 6–9 years)
Negative GEICO Insurance Reviews
On the other hand, when people reported a poor experience with GEICO, they tended to focus on issues during the claims process. Here is a review that expressed a common sentiment among negative GEICO insurance reviews:
“I have been a policyholder for 18 years. The service on the website is great. It is simple to use and easy to understand. I have had problems with claims. I have had several claims in the past with the company and service has been iffy.… I think they have lost the luster, and service has become less important as time went on. At least the website is easy and hassle-free.”
– Mickey W. via Trustpilot
GEICO Car Insurance Reddit
Many customers and those shopping for car insurance turn to Reddit to have their questions answered. We looked for GEICO car insurance Reddit reviews on the site to see what users had to say about the provider.
Positive GEICO Car Insurance Reviews Reddit
Overall, we found positive GEICO car insurance reviews on Reddit highlighted the company’s affordable coverage compared with other large providers.
“Geico auto is usually pretty solid, especially if you’re located in the northeast USA. I use them, in fact, and have very high coverage for a much lower premium than other carriers offered.” -u/DemonDeac
“I’ve had Geico since I’ve been driving (13 years). I’ve had one at-fault and several not-at-fault accidents. Every time Geico has been a pleasure to deal with. Like so eastbound, I couldn’t even tell you the details of the claims. Long story short, as I got older, so did my taste in cars. I’m currently insuring about $125k in vehicles with a Geico policy. Every few years, I check just to make sure I’m getting a good rate, and Geico is usually half the price of the next most expensive insurer.” – u/jmoney6
Negative GEICO Car Insurance Reviews Reddit
A few negative GEICO car insurance reviews on Reddit mentioned poor customer service and issues with the claims process.
“Geico is ok. I was with them for 20 years but switched because of poor service.” – u/oO0-_-0Oo
“I used to have Geico. I liked the rates and forgiveness for one traffic ticket. Then I got into a minor fender bender when I was hit from behind and sent into the car in front of me. The driver who hit me fought to have me blamed for the accident claiming she hit me only after I hit the car in front of me, despite the police report filed backed up my story. So this eventually gets taken to claims court, where Geico loses, because they didn’t bring up the police report.” -u/SilverFirePrime
GEICO Insurance Company
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) Score: A+
- BBB Customer Review Score: 1.2 / 5.0
- Trustpilot Score: 1.6 / 5.0
- AM Best Financial Strength Rating: A++ (Superior)
Founded in 1936 and headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, GEICO is one of the biggest car insurance companies in the nation. Accounting for almost 14 percent of the U.S. market share, the insurer says it wrote just under 34 billion insurance premiums in 2020 alone. In addition to car insurance, GEICO offers policies for homeowners insurance, renters insurance, life insurance, and more.
GEICO Car Insurance Coverage
Geico offers six standard types of car insurance, ranging from basic coverage to comprehensive protection. The provider also provides several add-on options that drivers can choose from, like rental car insurance and mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI).
The sections below dive into each of GEICO’s coverage options and benefits.
GEICO Liability Insurance Coverage
Liability insurance is required in most states and covers other drivers in accidents where you are at fault.
- Bodily injury liability insurance pays damages and costs associated with personal injuries and death.
- Property damage liability insurance pays for damage to another person’s car or property.
GEICO also offers umbrella insurance for especially serious accidents. Umbrella coverage pays out up to $1 million for damages.
GEICO Vehicle Coverage
GEICO vehicle coverage includes two types of insurance:
- Collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle caused by a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage covers damages not caused by a collision. These include theft, vandalism, and weather-related incidents.
GEICO Medical Coverage
GEICO medical coverage may pay for medical treatment, lost wages, and other expenses related to an accident. These costs are usually covered regardless of who is at fault.
- Medical payments coverage (MedPay) helps pay for medical bills, including funeral expenses, as a result of an accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) helps pay for medical bills as well as other accident-related expenses, such as lost wages.
GEICO Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
This form of insurance may cover your injuries or property damage when the driver at fault for an accident cannot be identified (such as in a hit-and-run), is uninsured, or does not have adequate insurance to pay the complete cost of damages.
GEICO Additional Coverage Options
- Rental car reimbursement: This covers up to $25 per day on a rental reimbursement for a maximum of $750 per claim.
- Roadside assistance: This overage gives you access to emergency road services, including battery jump-start services, towing, flat-tire changes, and lockout services (up to $100). With the GEICO mobile app, you can request help 24/7 and use a GPS locator to help emergency services find you.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI): MBI coverage pays for car repairs after an unexpected breakdown that is not the result of an accident, similar to an extended car warranty. This coverage lasts up to seven years or 100,000 miles. New or leased vehicles must be less than 15 months old and have fewer than 15,000 miles to be eligible for this type of policy.
- Rideshare insurance: This add-on covers the gap between what rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft cover and what your personal insurance policy covers.
GEICO DriveEasy is a program that tracks your driving habits and adjusts the price of your insurance based on how you drive. Drivers using the mobile app can earn discounts by avoiding hard stops, speeding, or picking up the phone while using the car. This program could be one way for high-risk drivers to lower their premiums with GEICO.
GEICO Mobile App
GEICO’s online experience is enhanced with the GEICO Mobile app. The app won awards in 2016 and 2019 and has received several high rankings from the Dynatrace Scorecard, beating out other insurance mobile apps for its customization options and easy use. Many GEICO insurance reviews praise the app for its features and usability.
The GEICO Mobile app allows users to:
- Pay bills
- Access digital ID cards
- Request roadside assistance
- Use Kate, a virtual assistant, to answer questions
- View service history, maintenance schedules, and more with Vehicle Care from myCARFAX
Customers can even play an augmented reality game on the mobile app.
GEICO Voice allows customers to check their claim status or request roadside assistance (among other services) just by using their voice. This tool is compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. We believe this feature is a nice plus since anyone who’s been in an accident knows how stressful filing a claim can be. Now you can just ask Alexa or Google for an update.
How Much Does GEICO Car Insurance Cost?
According to our full coverage rate estimates, GEICO costs an average of $109 per month or $1,308 per year for 35-year-old drivers with good credit and clean driving records. This is about 27% cheaper than the national average of $1,730 per year.
GEICO Car Insurance Prices
Geico is one of the nation’s most affordable car insurance providers. The company is one of the cheapest options on average for drivers with a recent speeding ticket or at-fault car accident on their record, based on our research. However, it can be expensive for those who recently got a DUI.
GEICO Car Insurance Rates by Age
There are many factors that impact the cost of car insurance, including age. Younger drivers without experience can expect to pay significantly more for car insurance coverage than experienced drivers. The table below shows the average monthly cost and annual estimates by age for a GEICO car insurance policy.
|Age||GEICO Average Monthly Cost Estimate||GEICO Average Annual Cost Estimate|
GEICO High-Risk Auto Insurance Rates
Your driving record is another factor that plays a significant part in determining your car insurance costs. Here are a few GEICO car insurance estimates for different driving profiles, including those with a speeding ticket or car accident.
|GEICO Average Monthly Cost Estimate||GEICO Average Annual Cost Estimate||National Average Annual Cost Estimate|
GEICO Car Insurance Rates by State
Below, you can see how GEICO car insurance rate estimates compare to the average car insurance rate for each state. GEICO is cheaper than the state average in most cases but not all. Also, you can expect to find higher rates if you are a young driver, have accidents on your record, or have poor credit.
|State||State Average Cost Estimate||GEICO Cost Estimate|
|Michigan||$4,390||Data Not Available|
Is GEICO Expensive?
Our cost estimates show that GEICO is one of the more affordable providers in the insurance industry. Here’s how the company ranks against regional and national providers regarding monthly and annual costs.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Cost Estimate||Average Annual Cost Estimate|
GEICO Car Insurance Quotes
While GEICO tends to be an affordable provider, there are instances where drivers may pay more for coverage. That’s because car insurance quotes are determined on an individual basis and based on several factors.
The most common factors that affect car insurance quotes are:
- Your location
- Marital status
- Driving history
- Credit score
GEICO Car Insurance Discounts
Beyond finding a cheaper base rate, there are ways to lower the price of your premiums, especially if you can qualify for discounts. GEICO’s available discounts include:
- Multi-Policy Discount: Bundling your GEICO homeowners insurance, renters insurance, life insurance, or other insurance products with your car insurance coverage will get you a discount.
- Military Discount: GEICO offers a 15 percent discount to active duty and retired military personnel, as well as officers in the National Reserves and National Guard.
- New Vehicle Discount: You can save 15 percent on your car insurance when you insure a new car that’s less than three years old.
- Multi-Vehicle Discount: GEICO offers up to a 25 percent for insuring more than vehicle under the same policy.
- Good Student Discount: Students who maintain good grades can get a 15 percent discount.
- Anti-Lock Brakes Discount: You can get a 5 percent policy discount for having anti-lock brakes installed on your vehicle.
- Federal Employee Discount: GEICO started out as a service only for U.S. government employees and still offers an 8 percent to people who work for the federal government.
- Anti-Theft System Discount: If you have a car alarm or other anti-theft equipment installed on your vehicle you can get up to 25 percent off of your car insurance premium.
- Membership/Employee Discount: GEICO employees can also get a discount on insurance.
- Daytime Running Lights Discount: You can get 1 percent off of your car insurance for having daytime running lights on your vehicle.
- Emergency Deployment Discount: GEICO offers a 25 percent discount to military members who are deployed unexpectedly.
- Good Driver Discount: If you stay accident-free for five years, you can get a 26 percent on your GEICO insurance.
- Seat Belt Use Discount: Using your seat belt can get you 15 percent off medical coverage or PIP.
- Drivers Education and Defensive Driving Course Discounts: GEICO rewards policyholders for taking approved driver’s education courses and defensive driving courses.
- Air Bag System Discount: You can get a 25 percent discount for having airbags installed on your driver’s side and 40 percent for full-front seat airbags.
Online Payments with GEICO Auto Insurance
Customers can set up automatic payments or pay without logging in through GEICO Express Services. This tool lets you pay your bill or view your ID without having to enter a user name and password. Instead, you use your ZIP code, phone number, policy number, or social security number.
GEICO also offers payment plans. You can make payments with a credit card, debit card, check, or your saved checking account info.
How to Save Money on GEICO Car Insurance
Seniors are eligible for a GEICO “Prime Time” plan specifically designed for drivers older than 50. To be eligible, drivers must have a clean driving record with no violations or accidents in the past three years. Furthermore, no drivers under age 25 can operate the covered vehicle.
GEICO customers can protect themselves from rate increases after an accident through the provider’s accident forgiveness program. Accident forgiveness can be purchased as an add-on and is also awarded to customers who stay accident-free for a certain period of time. This perk is not available to drivers in California, Connecticut, or Massachusetts.
Finally, drivers who want to save on GEICO auto insurance policies can opt for a larger deductible to lower their insurance premiums.
How to Find Affordable GEICO Coverage
GEICO offers a free auto insurance quote engine as well as a coverage calculator and a rate pricing comparison tool.
The coverage calculator helps car insurance shoppers find the right type of coverage based on a series of questions about driving habits, assets, and other factors.
GEICO also offers a rate comparison tool. This allows you to see how GEICO’s rates stack up against other major insurance companies.
Geico Auto Insurance Reviews: Conclusion
GEICO is a company that embraces mobile technology and makes coverage affordable through a number of discounts and programs. GEICO insurance reviews show that many customers appreciate the company for its reputation and ease of use. But as with most insurance companies, some end up disappointed with aspects of the claims process and customer service.
We recommend shopping around and comparing car insurance quotes from leading providers. You can either buy car insurance online or find an agent at the company you wish to purchase coverage from.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
GEICO Insurance Alternatives
While GEICO is a strong choice for most drivers, it isn’t your only option. We recommend reaching out to a minimum of three providers as you shop for coverage.
State Farm: Best Overall
State Farm is one of the most popular car and home insurance providers in the nation. It provides drivers with several unique coverage options and features that drivers can take advantage of. Motorists can purchase standard car insurance coverage in addition to roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, travel expense reimbursement, and rideshare insurance. The company offers some of the lowest rates in the industry on average for young drivers.
Read more: State Farm Insurance Reviews
Travelers: Best Coverage Choices
Travelers stands out from other competitors because of its wide range of discounts and coverage options. Some of the insurer’s unique offerings include guaranteed asset protection (GAP) insurance, accident forgiveness, and named non-owner coverage. The company also provides the IntelliDrive program that captures data from your smartphone to see how safely you drive. You can receive a discount for signing up and get further savings depending on your driving habits.
Read more: Travelers Insurance Reviews
Reviews About GEICO Insurance: FAQ
Below are frequently asked questions about GEICO insurance reviews.
Is GEICO good on paying claims?
Our industry research shows that GEICO is very good at paying out claims to customers. In our August 2022 insurance survey, those with a GEICO policy gave the company’s claim customer service a 4.1 out of 5.0.
Is GEICO a reliable company?
GEICO earned a 4.6 out of 5.0 for overall performance by our team. The company provides drivers with unique offerings like mechanical breakdown insurance and several discount opportunities. In addition, GEICO tends to give some of the cheapest car insurance rates in the industry.
Does GEICO charge a cancellation fee?
GEICO does not charge a cancellation fee to cancel your car insurance policy. You can cancel at any time or set a cancellation date for the future if you prefer.
How long has GEICO been in business?
GEICO has been in business since 1936 when it was founded as an insurance company for federal government employees. Today, the company is the second-largest auto insurance provider in the country and is available to nearly everyone.
How long does it take GEICO to refund a payment?
It takes GEICO around 15 days to process a refund. Once your refund is processed, it should take around a week to receive a check.
How does GEICO pay claims?
GEICO pays claims by check once the accident investigation has finished. The company usually sends a check out within 48 hours after the completion of the investigation.
What time does GEICO process payments?
Once you make a payment, GEICO will process this payment within five business days. You can pay with an online check, credit card, debit card, or bank transfer (EFT), either manually or by setting up automatic payments (credit/debit cards and EFT only).
Does GEICO offer GAP insurance?
GEICO does not currently offer Guaranteed Asset Protection, or GAP insurance, to its policyholders. You may be able to get this coverage, which covers the difference between the actual value of your vehicle and the amount you owe on it, from your financing company.
What is the GEICO claims department number?
GEICO’s claims department number is (800) 841-3000. You can also file a claim or check the status of a current claim at any time using the GEICO mobile app.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car insurance providers.
- Affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team considers auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services and discount opportunities when giving this score.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that a car insurance company offers an array of coverage options. We take into account types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Industry Standing: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, financial strength, and years in business when giving this score.
- Availability: Auto insurers with greater state availability and few eligibility requirements are more likely to meet consumer needs.
- Customer Service: Reputable car insurance providers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We consider complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), J.D. Power claims servicing scores, and customer feedback.
- Online Experience: Insurers with easy-to-use websites and highly rated mobile apps scored best in this category.