Montway Auto Transport earned 4.7 out of 5.0 stars, the highest of all car shippers in our study. Montway’s industry reputation is excellent as well.
Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
- Montway has a vast network of over 15,000 carriers, allowing the company to offer some of the lowest car shipping rates in the industry.
- Montway ships vehicles anywhere in the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii.
- Montway makes shipping hassle-free by offering guaranteed pick-up dates and cargo insurance.
After researching and comparing the top car shipping companies, our team gave Montway Auto Transport our 2023 award for “Best Service.” In our updated Montway Auto Transport review, we’ll unpack why the provider earned that award and reveal other details that we discovered.
Below, you’ll find a breakdown of Montway’s auto transport services, shipping costs, and reviews from customers. We’ll also go over how to find car shipping quotes online from Montway Auto Transport and other providers to help you make an informed decision.
Our Rating: 4.7 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
Montway Auto Transport Review
Our team of experts awarded Montway Auto Transport with 4.7 stars out of 5.0 and recognized it for having the Best Service in the industry.
Keep in mind that Montway doesn’t offer transport for specialty models such as boats and recreational vehicles (RVs). The provider also lacks GPS tracking services, though customers can inquire about the location of their vehicle at any time.
Overall, however, our Montway Auto Transport review revealed that it’s one of the premier car shipping companies in the industry.
Montway Auto Transport Pros and Cons
The table below shows some of the most notable advantages and disadvantages found in Montway Auto Transport reviews:
|Montway Auto Transport Pros||Montway Auto Transport Cons|
|24/7 customer service||Door-to-door shipping only|
|Competitive pricing||$199 cancellation fee|
|Guaranteed pickup dates||Quotes not guaranteed|
Is Montway Auto Transport Legit?
Headquarters: Schaumburg, Illinois
U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) number: 2239816
Motor carrier (MC) number: 611862
Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating: A+
BBB customer rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
Service area: U.S., including Hawaii and Alaska
Montway Auto Transport is a legitimate, well-respected car shipping company with more than 15 years of experience. In 2021, the Chicago-area provider received the Bronze Stevie® Award for Innovation of the Year in the business service industries category. Montway was also recognized as one of the fastest-growing private companies by Inc. 5000. Finally, the company has received a Patriot Award for being a Military Support Employer.
Montway Auto Transport Customer Reviews
Customer reviews for Montway online are, for the most part, very positive on websites such as BBB and Trustpilot. With over 2,300 customer reviews on the BBB website, Montway Auto Transport averages a rating of 4.6 out of 5.0 stars. The vehicle transport company’s reviews are similar on Trustpilot, where the car shipper also has 4.6 out of 5.0 stars based on over 1,200 reviews.
While not everyone reports a positive experience with the auto shipping company, customers generally express favorable views. Montway Auto Transport has some of the highest online ratings on customer review sites and performed well in our independent shipping survey. Below we will highlight the positive and negative customer reviews left on the BBB and Trustpilot’s websites.
Positive Montway Auto Transport Reviews
In many of the Montway Auto Transport reviews we found, people who had favorable customer experiences said their vehicles arrived on time and without damage or much hassle. Around 10% of reviewers mentioned an “easy process” when dealing with Montway.
Here are some positive customer reviews:
“Prompt pickup and super-fast delivery. Got my car from Seattle [area] to New York area in just six days. No scratches or damages to the car.”
– Manoj B. via Trustpilot
“The trucking company picked by Montway, Kotermak Auto Transport, was awesome. My car went into the trailer smoothly and was never moved from the spot until it was delivered at its destination. The [trucker] was very courteous and polite. Overall, this move exceeded my expectations.”
– Imran S. via BBB
Montway Auto Transport Complaints
As for negative Montway Auto Transport reviews, we found that less-than-satisfied customers experienced a few common issues. These included vehicle damages, surprise costs not included in the original shipping quote, and truck drivers failing to be on time for pickup and delivery dates.
It should be noted, however, that Montway responds to 62% of reviews on average.
Here are two negative Montway Auto Transport reviews worth noting:
“Montway is the typical broker. Promises everything, but one hour before delivery, ‘Sorry we can’t cover your load.’ Left me with two vehicles to move at the last minute.”
– Robert B. via BBB
“Don’t use this company. They subcontracted the transport, and our car was totaled. This was a four-hour transport. Horrible customer service, and the claim they filed with the subcontractor’s insurance company went nowhere.”
– Truet M. via Trustpilot
Montway Auto Transport Reviews on Reddit
Montway Auto Transport reviews on Reddit tend to be mixed but overall fairly positive, keeping with what we noticed on other websites. People ask for advice about companies and services on Reddit, and users have offered plenty of opinions about Montway Auto Transport.
Here are some of the things Redditors had to say about Montway:
“From a customer’s perspective, if you’re happy with their quote – they will handle everything you need them to and be readily available should the carrier not communicate with you.” – u/AutoTransortBroker
“Montway is good but they are a large company, probably the single largest auto transport broker.” – u/DonCarshipperVito
“I used Montway Guaranteed pickup date due to my tight schedule, which went amazing. 10/10 would recommend.” – u/unknownpoppyseed
“This has been an unnecessary, chaotic, and stressful experience. I only hope that the company reimburses me some of my money so I can use it to ship my belongings since I was not allowed time to put them in my vehicle.” – u/drewsara95
It’s worth noting that many comments came from Redditors whose usernames suggested some kind of relationship with the auto-shipping industry.
Is Montway Auto Transport Good?
Our research team surveyed 1,000 car shipping customers in late 2021. Montway Auto Transport was the most popular car shipping company among respondents, with just over 24% using the service.
Montway Customer Service Survey
When asked about customer satisfaction regarding their shipping experience with Montway Auto Transport, 84% said they were at least somewhat satisfied with their service. The chart below shows a breakdown of responses:
Among those who used Montway to ship a vehicle, 78% said they would recommend the company to someone else – the highest of any provider in our study. The company was a common choice for people shipping a vehicle to Alaska.
According to the survey, these were the most common problems people had when using Montway Auto Transport:
- Damage to a vehicle (of any severity)
- Price increased after booking when the price was not guaranteed
- Carrier’s insurance wouldn’t cover damage*
*Note that this could be due to several valid reasons, such as the carrier’s insurance policy having a high deductible. However, some instances could also be due to poor service. This is a good reminder always to read your documentation carefully.
Montway Auto Transport Cost
Like most vehicle transport companies, Montway Auto Transport charges customers on a per-mile basis. Here’s how Montway Auto Transport’s per-mile cost generally breaks down:
- 86 cents per mile for open transport
- $1.22 per mile for enclosed transport
Mileage is one of the main factors in the cost of shipping a car with Montway. So while the overall cost of long-distance shipping, such as a cross-country move, is higher, the rate you’ll pay per mile is less.
Montway Auto Transport Quotes
Montway Auto Transport offers an instant quote tool on its website to help you better understand how much it might cost to ship your car. We calculated the car shipping cost for a 2018 Nissan Rogue in running condition in just a few minutes. Here’s what we received through the quote tool for various locations:
|Car Shipping Route||Shipping Option||Montway Auto Transport Quote|
|Orlando, FL to Durham, NC (535 miles)||Door-to-door open shipping||$709|
|San Francisco, CA to Austin, TX (1,500 miles)||Door-to-door open shipping||$1,459|
|New York City, NY to Los Angeles, CA (2,445 miles)||Door-to-door open shipping||$1,679|
|San Francisco, CA to Austin, TX (1,500 miles)||Door-to-door enclosed shipping||$1,829|
It’s important to note that some Montway Auto Transport reviews mention the final price being significantly higher than the original quote. This may or may not be the case for you.
Montway Auto Transport Discounts
For customers looking to get cheap car shipping, Montway Auto Transport does offer a few discounts. Here are some examples:
- Military discount: Montway offers discounts to both active-duty military members and veterans. Call customer service to confirm the exact amount.
- Cash discount: You can save some money on shipping costs by paying your bill in cash rather than with a credit card or check.
- Multi-vehicle discount: Montway offers a discount for customers who ship multiple vehicles at once.
- Returning customer discount: Some return customers can qualify for a discount on their shipping service.
You may be able to find other discounts from Montway Auto Transport. While it isn’t as convenient as getting an online quote, you can ask a representative about all available discounts if you call the company’s phone number.
Montway Auto Shipping Cost Factors
While shipping distance is one of the most influential factors in the cost of shipping a car, it’s not the only one. Other variables can significantly affect how much you pay to move your vehicle.
Here are some of the main considerations:
- Time of year: Shipping a car during the summer or in January usually means additional expenses.
- Cost of fuel: When truck drivers have to pay more for fuel, the extra cost is passed on to customers.
- Vehicle operability: Inoperable vehicles are more expensive to ship than fully operational cars.
- Type of car: Larger models and specialty vehicles such as RVs and motorcycles could cost more to ship.
- Road conditions: Factors such as traffic, construction, weather, and the condition of the highway can influence the cost of car shipping.
- Type of transport: Choosing an option such as enclosed shipping or expedited transport means paying a higher shipping price.
- Shipping destination: Transporting a car from terminal to terminal is generally cheaper than having the shipping company perform a dropoff at your door. Montway Auto Transport only offers door-to-door shipping, though.
- Delivery time: You can get rushed vehicle shipping, but it comes at an additional cost. Booking your move a few weeks in advance and being flexible about pickup and delivery dates can help you get lower rates.
- Carrier competition: Busy shipping destinations such as Florida, California, and New York may come with lower-than-average rates.
While enclosed transport means a more secure shipping process, Montway Auto Transport says using this method of transportation can increase a shipping bill by 30% to 40%.
Montway Auto Transport Car Shipping Services
Montway Auto Transport deals with over 1,500 car shippers across the US to offer a large selection of shipping options. Here’s an overview of the available shipping services:
- Expedited shipping: You can rush your shipping dates if you need to, but doing so adds cost to your shipment.
- Classic car shipping: If you need to ship a rare or especially valuable vehicle, you can pay more for Montway movers to take extra precautions with it to reduce the risk of damage.
- Door-to-door delivery: Montway Auto Transport will ship your car directly from an old address to the one you’re relocating to, or at least very close to it.
- Open trailer transport: Shipping your car in an open container is the cheaper option, but it also exposes your vehicle to damage from car accidents, road debris, and other hazards.
- Enclosed trailer transport: For an additional fee, you can ship your car in an enclosed container to protect it from many sources of damage.
- Shipping to Alaska and Hawaii: Not all car shippers can move a car to or from Alaska and Hawaii, but Montway Auto Transport offers this service.
Types of Vehicles Shipped by Montway
Montway Auto Transport ships most vehicle types. These include:
- All-terrain vehicles (ATVs)
- Pickup trucks
- Passenger vans
Montway Auto Transport reviews mention that the company won’t ship RVs, trailers, or boats.
How Montway Auto Transport Works
Like all companies, Montway Auto Transport has its own set of rules and policies for its customers and carriers to follow. Understanding these policies ahead of time can help to ensure a smooth shipment.
Montway Auto Transport Tracking
Montway Auto Transport offers a relatively convenient and reliable way to track your vehicle’s location. With its easy-to-use website, you can follow the entire process in real time. You can also receive updated status emails and a phone call from an experienced transportation specialist when your vehicle is loaded onto the truck along the route. All you need to do is use the tracking number provided to you.
However, many providers offer live GPS tracking services. That service is not available, as is mentioned in many negative Montway Auto Transport reviews.
Montway Auto Transport Insurance
Montway Auto Transport makes sure that any shipment it brokers is insured. All land shipments come with inland marine cargo insurance coverage up to $100,000. This is provided by the motor carrier but has certain limitations.
If you’re shipping by sea, the oceanic transporter is deemed responsible via the terms and conditions of the shipping agreement. So if you ship outside of the contiguous U.S., we recommend reading the fine print.
Montway Guaranteed Pick-Up
Within the auto transport industry, it’s common for pickup and delivery dates to be flexible. Montway Auto Transport, though, offers guaranteed pickup dates with its services. This allows you to fully commit to any travel or moving plans. It can also provide peace of mind during an otherwise stressful move.
Montway Auto Transport Cargo Policy
When transporting cars, Montway lets you ship personal items in one suitcase or box of up to 100 pounds at no extra cost. Several Montway Auto Transport reviews mention this being helpful. Due to safety regulations, the truck driver can inspect the vehicle for unlawful items.
Montway Auto Transport Cancellation
You can cancel your car shipment with Montway Auto Transport, but it may cost you. You can get a full refund if you cancel before a carrier is assigned to your move. However, after you’ve been assigned a carrier, the company charges a $199 cancellation fee to change plans.
To cancel your Montway Auto Transport shipment, you need to submit a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How To Ship a Car With Montway
Many Montway Auto Transport reviews mention the company’s easy shipping process. This is especially great news if you’re shipping a car for the first time. But what exactly is that process?
Here are the steps to shipping your car with Montway:
- Book your service: After getting a quote, you can book your service with Montway, including choosing your preferred dates and shipping methods. If you need to ship your car in a hurry or even get next-day service, that may be possible for an extra fee.
- Prepare your car to be shipped: Montway allows you to pack up to 100 pounds of personal items in your vehicle. Before you ship your car, secure all loose items that could move around the vehicle and cause damage during the shipment.
- Get your car picked up: Since Montway Auto Transport doesn’t offer terminal-to-terminal shipping, your driver will pick your car up at your home or at a chosen location.
- Wait: Depending on the shipping distance, weather and traffic conditions, and your motor carrier’s schedule, your shipment could take several days.
- Collect your vehicle: Because Montway Auto Transport only offers door-to-door shipping, your car will arrive close to your home or chosen destination. You or someone you trust should sign the bill of lading when the vehicle gets there. This is an official legal document that acts as a receipt and contains all the details of your shipment.
Our Rating: 4.7 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
Montway Car Shipping Reviews: Conclusion
Although we think Montway Auto Transport is a great option for car shipping, our experts advise getting no-obligation, free quotes from multiple car shipping companies before making a financial commitment.
Montway Auto Transport Competitors
Easy Auto Ship and Sherpa Auto Transport are two other car transport providers well worth checking out.
Easy Auto Ship: Best Customer Service
Easy Auto Ship is a car shipping provider that may appeal to budget-conscious customers. Our research experts found that Easy Auto Ship has some of the cheapest rates among car transport companies and honors quotes for up to 30 days. Easy Auto Ship gets our award for Best Customer Service and a 4.4- out of 5.0-star rating based on its reputation, prices, transport options, and customer experience.
Like Montway, Easy Auto Ship offers shipping in all 50 states and international transport. The company also has an A+ rating from the BBB and 4.6 out of 5.0 stars on the BBB website based on customer reviews.
Read our in-depth Easy Auto Ship review for more information.
Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
Cost-effective option for those on a budget.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best for Locked-In Pricing
Those who want to know car shipping costs upfront should consider Sherpa Auto Transport. The Charlotte, North Carolina-based company offers similar services to Montway with enclosed transport, open transport, and door-to-door shipping.
However, unlike Montway Auto Transport, Sherpa guarantees that the price that you’re quoted is the final price you’ll pay. The company also offers a Clean Car Guarantee, which is a reimbursement of up to $20 for a car wash after your car arrives.
Sherpa earned our Best for Locked-In Pricing award and an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5.0 stars based on reputation, prices, shipping options, and customer service. Despite only being six years old, Sherpa is a BBB-accredited business with an A+ rating. Customers give Sherpa 4.9 out of 5.0 stars on the BBB website.
To learn more, check out our full-length Sherpa Auto Transport review.
Best for Locked-In Pricing
Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
Stress-free auto shipping and transparent pricing.
The bottom line on Montway is that the company is as good as it gets within the auto transport industry. With affordable rates, plenty of discounts, and lots of positive Montway Auto Transport reviews, we believe the company is an excellent choice for most people looking to ship a car.
Montway Auto Transport: FAQ
Below are some frequently asked questions about Montway Auto Transport:
Is Montway Auto Transport a broker?
Like most auto transport companies, Montway brokers shipping contracts with a network of long-distance car carriers across the country. Acting as a go-between, it works to find consumers the best deal and streamline the shipping process.
How long does Montway Auto Transport take?
The time frame for auto transport varies by distance and location, but it usually takes one to five days.
What is the phone number for Montway Auto Transport customer service?
If you need to reach Montway Auto Transport for support, you can call customer service at 888-666-8929. You can also get text-based help via a live chat online at www.montway.com.
Does Montway have GPS tracking?
Montway Auto Transport does not currently offer GPS tracking. However, you can call the company during regular business hours to check the status of your shipment.
Who owns Montway Auto Transport?
Dimitre Kirilov is the president and CEO of Montway Auto Transport. The company is privately owned.
How long has Montway Auto Transport been in business?
Montway Auto Transport has been in the car shipping business since 2007. The company is now one of the most popular in the U.S.
What is the best auto transport company?
Our research experts have found that Montway Auto Transport, Sherpa Auto Transport, and Easy Auto Ship can be great options for vehicle transportation. Ultimately, deciding which company is right depends on your budget, shipping destination, and transport type.
How do I know if an auto transport company is legit?
Most auto transport brokers vet their carriers ahead of time, but it’s never a bad idea to do some research on your own. Customer reviews on websites like the BBB, Trustpilot, and Google can give insight into whether or not an auto transport company is legit. You can also look for red flags, such as whether an auto transporter is willing or not to provide a physical address for its business.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car shipping companies.
- Prices: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team performs ongoing secret shopper analyses for different vehicles, services, and shipping routes to give this rating.
- Services: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that an auto transport company offers an array of services. We take into account the availability of services, ability to guarantee pickup and dropoff dates, and insurance coverage options.
- Reputation: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, a company’s history of service, and years in business when giving this score.
- Customer Service: Reputable car shippers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We take into account customer reviews, BBB complaints, and the responsiveness of the customer service team.
*Data accurate at time of publication.