Our industry wide research shows that Progressive tends to average $134 per month for a full coverage policy or $57 per month for minimum liability.
Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
- Progressive car insurance costs an average of $1,600 per year for the average driver to buy full coverage.
- We name Programs Best for High-Risk Drivers in 2023.
- Factors that affect auto insurance rates include your age, gender, driving record, credit score, and vehicle’s make and model.
- GEICO, State Farm, and USAA are solid choices if you’re hoping to compare Progressive car insurance costs with other reputable providers.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code and answer a few simple questions to find the best rates in your area.
This article will explain what your Progressive car insurance rates could look like if you pick up coverage with the provider. We’ll also mention some other companies that are known for having some of the best policies in the industry.
How Much Is Progressive Car Insurance?
Based on our cost estimates, Progressive car insurance costs the standard motorist around $1,611 per year for a full coverage policy, and around $687 per year for a minimum liability policy. In our study of the industry’s best car insurance companies, we rate Progressive as the insurer with Best Rates for High-Risk Drivers.
Below is a breakdown of Progressive car insurance costs:
|Insurance Price Factor||Progressive Cost Details|
|Minimum-Liability Insurance Cost||$57 per month|
|Progressive Full Coverage Cost||$134 per month|
|Number of Discounts Offered||15|
|Best Rates For||High-Risk Drivers|
|Overall Cost Score||4.4 out of 5.0|
Is Progressive Car Insurance Cheap?
Yes, Progressive car insurance tends to be an affordable option for most drivers. The insurer is typically about 7% cheaper than the national average $1,730 per year for a full coverage car insurance policy. However, when it comes to minimum coverage, Progressive’s average rate of around $687 per year is just above the national average of $635.
Progressive Insurance Price Comparison
While Progressive rates are slightly lower for full-coverage and a bit higher for minimum liability coverage than the national average, the provider offers very competitive rates for some drivers. For example, high-risk drivers commonly find competitive pricing from Progressive, so it’s an excellent choice for those with a speeding ticket, at-fault car accident, or DUI on their driving record.
Here’s a closer look at how Progressive insurance rates compare with other national car insurance providers.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Cost Estimate||Average Annual Cost Estimate|
|American Family Insurance||$128||$1,537|
Is Progressive Cheaper than Geico?
No, as the table above illustrates, Progressive is not normally cheaper than Geico. We found that Geico tends to cost an average of $1,308 per year for a full coverage policy, which is about $300 cheaper than Progressive.
Progressive Insurance Rates
Progressive car insurance costs will vary for each motorist and are influenced by several factors, like your location, driving history, and age. Below, we’ll outline some Progressive auto insurance rates by different driving profiles to give you an idea of how much you could pay for coverage with the provider.
Progressive High-Risk Car Insurance Rates
Drivers with a recent DUI, speeding ticket, or at-fault accident on their record can expect to find lower rates with Progressive than average. The table below shows monthly average and annual Progressive rate estimates for drivers who fall into these categories.
|Driver Profile||Progressive Monthly Cost Estimate||Progressive Annual Cost Estimate|
|35-year-old driver with good credit and driving history||$134||$1,611|
|25-year-old driver with good credit and driving history||$161||$1,934|
|35-year-old driver with poor credit||$210||$2,514|
|35-year-old driver with a recent single vehicle accident||$277||$3,329|
|35-year-old driver with a DUI||$194||$2,328|
|35-year-old driver with a speeding ticket||$193||$2,312|
Progressive Car Insurance Rates by Age
Age is factor that can significantly impact your car insurance rates with Progressive. The table below compares monthly and average annual cost estimates by age.
|Age||Progressive Average Monthly Cost Estimate||Progressive Average Annual Cost Estimate|
Progressive Rates For New Drivers
Younger drivers tend to pay thousands of more dollars per year than experienced drivers with Progressive. As the table above shows, 16 year old drivers pay an average of $931. This rate is drastically lower for 25 year old drivers, who pay $239 on average.
Average Progressive Car Insurance Cost by State
Progressive categorizes each state into one of three groups: low-cost states, medium-cost states and high-cost states. Below, we’ll mention which group each state falls into:
- High-cost states: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, South Carolina, West Virginia
- Medium-cost states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, Texas, Utah
- Low-cost states: California, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, South Dakota, Vermont, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Progressive Car Insurance Rates by State
The table below shows how Progressive compares to the average rate for good drivers in each state and Washington, D.C.:
|State||State Average Cost Estimate||Progressive Cost Estimate|
|Texas||$2,067||Data not available|
|Wyoming||$1,499||Data not available|
Note that your Progressive car insurance costs could be high or low regardless of your current state.
Progressive Rates by Vehicle
Progressive car insurance rates are also by the type of vehicle you own. The table below shows annual car insurance costs for 2021 and 2022 by popular vehicle manufacturers.
|Make||2021 Annual Car Insurance Rates||2022 Annual Car Insurance Rates|
Progressive Coverage Plan Rates
In addition to minimum liability and comprehensive coverage, Progressive offers several other standard and add-on car insurance coverage options for drivers, including:
- Collision coverage
- Underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage
- Medical payments (MedPay) coverage
- Loan/lease payoff
- Rental car reimbursement
- Custom parts and equipment value
- Rideshare coverage
- Roadside assistance
- Deductible savings bank
While bodily injury liability insurance and property damage liability coverage are required in nearly every state, Progressive’s other coverage options are typically optional, depending on where you reside.
Policyholders looking for the lowest average cost from Progressive should avoid add-ons. Keep in mind that you’ll pay out of pocket for far more expenses when filing an insurance claim if you reject these coverages.
Does Progressive Raise Rates Every 6 Months?
In some cases, Progressive does raise rates every six months. If you’re a new Progressive customer, you can expect your premium to go up after your first 6-month policy period if you file a claim or traffic violations get added to your driving record.
How To Lower Car Insurance With Progressive
There are plenty of potential savings given out to those picking up Progressive car insurance coverage. There are plenty of potential savings given out to those picking up Progressive car insurance coverage. Unfortunately, while many insurers offer savings for having a new car, Progressive does not.
Beyond the saving measures above, Progressive offers a variety of car insurance discounts to help you save on your policy. The discounts you qualify for will vary depending on your own individual situation and how much coverage you wish to pursue with the provider.
Here’s a look at some of the discounts the company offers:
- Multi-policy: Save money if you have more than one Progressive policy.
- Multi-car: If Progressive insures more than one vehicle, you could get reduced rates.
- Continuous insurance: If you’ve been continuously insured for a certain period of time, you may be eligible for this discount.
- Snapshot: This usage-based insurance opportunity tracks driving behaviors and rewards safe drivers with lower Progressive car insurance costs. Note that rates could increase if you have poor driving habits.
- Teen driver: Get a lower rate per driver if you add a teenage motorist to your personal auto insurance policy.
- Good student: You may be eligible for this discount if you’re a student with at least a “B” grade point average.
- Distant student: If you’re a college student who left your car more than 100 miles away from home, you may be eligible for savings.
- Homeowner: Those who own a house could see lower Progressive car insurance costs.
- Online quote: Getting a quote online may lead to cheaper auto insurance premiums.
- Sign online: If you sign your policy documents online, you’ll save on coverage.
- Paperless: Pay less after signing up for paperless billing from Progressive.
- Pay in full: If you cover your car insurance premium in full, you can earn a discount.
- Automatic payment: Motorists who set up automatic payments typically get rewarded with reduced Progressive car insurance costs.
While Progressive specifically mentions these discounts on its website, it’s worth asking one of the company’s insurance agents about other choices.
Progressive Auto Insurance Quote
While cost estimates are extremely useful in determining how much you are likely to pay for a Progressive auto insurance policy, you won’t know your specific rate until you get a quote from the provider. Because many different factors affect how much you’ll pay for Progressive car insurance, the specific rate you are quoted can vary wildly.
Here’s a look at some of the most critical factors that determine Progressive car insurance costs:
- Driving record: Those with a clean driving history can expect to pay less for coverage than someone who’s been involved in an accident or a traffic violation.
- Vehicle make and model: Drivers with luxury cars or vehicles without safety features usually pay more than those with safety-equipped economy cars.
- Age: Young drivers often have higher Progressive car insurance costs than older motorists. However, adults above the age of 65 tend to see their rates go back up.
- Gender: Statistics show that men are more likely to be involved in accidents than women, and this leads to higher average premiums.
- Credit score: If you have a good credit score, you’ll likely get charged less for equal coverage than someone with poor credit.
- Policy bundling: Progressive car insurance costs will be lower if you bundle with policies for home insurance, renters coverage or life insurance.
- Chosen deductible: Those who set a low deductible will likely face higher rates for a Progressive auto insurance coverage plan.
- Location: Your place of residence greatly affects Progressive car insurance costs. Drivers in urban areas typically pay more than those in the countryside, and rates are often higher for those in states with extensive coverage requirements.
Note that some of these factors are within your control, while others are not. For example, you’ll be quoted a higher-than-average rate if you choose car insurance coverage options that move beyond your state’s minimum liability standard.
Progressive Price Check
Progressive offers car insurance quotes online through multiple quote engines. In our experience, the price check and quote process takes no more than five minutes and gives multiple pricing and plan options with deductible estimates.
Because Progressive markets itself as more affordable than competitors, its website offers a calculator and tool to compare rates with other car insurance providers. Enter your information as you normally would for a free quote and see Progressive’s plans and rates. Then, click on the compare rates tool to get a listing of similar plans and prices from other insurers.
Progressive Car Insurance Calculator
You can also use the Name Your Price tool to enter your budget and get plans based on how much you are willing to pay. First, you will need to provide your basic information so that Progressive can find coverage that suits you.
Then, you may use the tool to enter your desired premium amount. Progressive will provide you with plans within your price range.
Progressive Cost: Is Progressive A Good Insurance Company?
Progressive is a great insurance company when it comes to affordability. The company regularly offers rates for high-risk and good drivers far below the national average. The best way to find out how much Progressive will cost for you is to request a free quote from the provider.
Recommended Providers With Lower Rates Than Progressive
While Progressive is worth consideration if you’re searching for an auto insurance provider, check out other companies before committing. We’d recommend asking for multiple car insurance quotes from GEICO, State Farm and USAA as well.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code and answer a few simple questions to find the best rates in your area.
GEICO: Best Discount Selection
GEICO has been providing quality insurance coverage across the U.S. for more than 80 years. The company’s wide range of options and rates that often undercut the competition lead us to offer it 4.6 out of 5.0 stars. While Progressive car insurance costs can quickly be lowered through its many discounts, GEICO offers a considerable number as well.
Keep reading: GEICO auto insurance review
State Farm: Best Overall
Young drivers often have a difficult time finding affordable car insurance, but that’s not always the case with State Farm. The company earned 4.7 out of 5.0 stars in our extensive review, mainly due to its competitive pricing structure and large number of local insurance agents.
Keep reading: State Farm auto insurance review
USAA: Best Rates for Military Families
USAA specializes in providing exceptional coverage to U.S. military families, and it received a 4.6- out of 5.0-star overall score. The provider ranked first in the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study?, indicating that most auto claims get fulfilled quickly and well. While USAA is well-known for offering low rates and superb service to those who qualify, it’s only available to those in the military, veterans and family members.
Keep reading: USAA auto insurance review
Progressive Auto Insurance Cost: FAQ
Below are frequently asked questinos about Progressive auto insurance costs.
How much does Progressive car insurance cost per month?
The average driver faces an average Progressive car insurance cost of around $130 per month. Note that this number varies widely due to factors such as your age, credit score and location.
What factors does Progressive consider when determining car insurance rates?
Progressive uses a variety of factors when determining your rates, with some of the largest being your type of vehicle, driving history, location and credit score.
How do I save on Progressive car insurance?
To save on Progressive car insurance, you’ll want to reconsider your coverage types and limits and can bundle homeowners insurance with your auto policy. If you’re willing to move beyond Progressive car insurance coverage, you could save by getting multiple auto insurance quotes from other providers as well.
Do insurance rates go up after a no-fault accident with Progressive?
The honest answer is that it depends on the accident and situation. But what sets Progressive apart from others in the industry is that it offers accident forgiveness in most states as soon as you become a customer for claims that total less than $500.
How much is Progressive car insurance full coverage?
Based on our rate estimates, full coverage from Progressive costs an average of $134 per month or $1,611 per year, which is below the national average of $1,730. However, keep in mind that if you purchase a full coverage policy your rates may not match our cost estimates because car insurance quotes are personalized based on your individual situation.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car insurance providers.
- Affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team considers auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services and discount opportunities when giving this score.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that a car insurance company offers an array of coverage options. We take into account types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Industry Standing: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, financial strength, and years in business when giving this score.
- Availability: Auto insurers with greater state availability and few eligibility requirements are more likely to meet consumer needs.
- Customer Service: Reputable car insurance providers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We consider complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), J.D. Power claims servicing scores, and customer feedback.
- Online Experience: Insurers with easy-to-use websites and highly rated mobile apps scored best in this category.