Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
- Car insurance in Utah averages $62 per month for minimum-coverage policies and $153 each month for full coverage.
- Auto-Owners offers the lowest average prices in Utah for minimum coverage, while GEICO provides the cheapest full-coverage rates on average.
- High-risk drivers with at-fault accidents, DUIs, and speeding tickets on their driving records typically get charged more for Utah car insurance.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
The cheapest car insurance in Utah is generally from Auto-Owners, which offers an average rate estimate of $40 per month for minimum coverage. USAA often sells the second-cheapest coverage to Utah drivers, with rates that are nearly equal to those from Auto-Owners.
Our team considered cost data, coverage choices, customer reviews, and overall reputations to find out which companies offer the best car insurance in Utah. We’ll break down each provider’s average costs to show where to find high-quality but affordable insurance in the Beehive State.
Best Car Insurance Rates in Utah
Auto-Owners, USAA, and GEICO tend to offer the cheapest auto insurance rates for Utah drivers. It’s best to get free quotes from other providers as well, however, to determine whether another company could have lower prices for your vehicle.
- Our researchers used cost data from Quadrant Information Services to find insurance premium estimates for different coverage types, driver profiles, and cities in Utah. We used this data to determine the cheapest coverage options from quality car insurance providers, and you’ll find details in tables throughout the article.
- To determine an overall rating for each top insurance company, our team considers not only affordability but also industry standing, availability, and coverage options. We then factor in the customer experience and online reviews to establish a numerical rating out of the highest possible score of 5.0.
- Unless stated otherwise, estimates reflect the profile of a 35-year-old driver with a clean driving record and good credit history.
Utah Car Insurance Rates at a Glance
You’ll find detailed cost estimates in the sections below, but we’ve listed out the cheapest auto insurance companies in Utah for a few driver profiles here:
- Cheapest full coverage: GEICO followed by Auto-Owners
- Cheapest minimum coverage: Auto-Owners followed by USAA
- Cheapest for teen drivers: GEICO followed by Auto-Owners
- Cheapest for drivers with a traffic violation: State Farm followed by GEICO
Cheapest Car Insurance Companies in Utah
Below is a listing of the car insurance providers that offer Utah’s best mix of reasonable prices and superb coverage plans. While Auto-Owners has the Beehive State’s cheapest rates, State Farm earned the highest score of any company we researched.
|Car Insurance Provider||Overall Rating||Average Monthly Rate: Minimum Coverage||Average Monthly Rate: Full Coverage||Number of Discounts|
Cheapest Car Insurance Coverage in Utah
The cheapest car insurance in Utah will be minimum-liability coverage in almost every instance. While this will meet the state’s legal requirements for car insurance, it won’t protect your own vehicle or take care of personal bodily injuries after an accident.
Getting a full-coverage auto insurance plan will cover your own vehicle and medical expenses instead of only those for other motorists. This will cost quite a bit more than minimum coverage but could lead to large savings down the road.
Cheapest Minimum-Liability Car Insurance in Utah
The average rate estimate for a minimum-coverage policy in Utah is $62 per month or $744 per year. Auto-Owners commonly offers the state’s cheapest minimum-liability policies with estimates of $40 per month or $480 per year.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate for Minimum Coverage||Average Yearly Rate for Minimum Coverage|
|Utah Farm Bureau||$53||$636|
Cheapest Full-Coverage Car Insurance in Utah
The average rate for full-coverage auto insurance in Utah is $153 per month or $1,836 per year. GEICO typically has the cheapest average rate estimates for full-coverage insurance at $88 monthly or $1,056 per year.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate for Full Coverage||Average Yearly Rate for Full Coverage|
|Utah Farm Bureau||$150||$1,800|
Utah Car Insurance Quotes by Driver Profile
It’s extremely likely that your prices for car insurance in Utah won’t look exactly like those above. After all, auto insurers set individual premiums based on factors including your age, driving record, and location within the state.
Cheapest Car Insurance in Utah: Age
Age plays a huge role in the price you’ll pay for car insurance in Utah. Young drivers and especially teen drivers pay much more on average for auto coverage than those of other ages. In the table below, you’ll find the rate estimates for Utah drivers of different ages:
|Driver Age||Average Monthly Rate for Minimum Coverage||Average Monthly Rate for Full Coverage|
Cheapest Car Insurance in Utah: High-Risk Drivers
Those with clean driving records often get cheaper car insurance rates in the Beehive State. Any at-fault accidents or traffic violations such as speeding tickets or DUIs could result in higher auto insurance premiums.
How much your driving history impacts monthly costs depends on your chosen car insurer. Below is a list of the top insurance companies in Utah and their average minimum-coverage rates for good drivers versus those marked as high-risk drivers.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate for Clean Driving Records||Average Monthly Rate for High-Risk Drivers|
|Utah Farm Bureau||$53||$67|
Car Insurance Rates in Utah: Speeding Ticket
Even if you receive just one speeding ticket, expect rates for car insurance in Utah to spike. GEICO generally has the state’s cheapest car insurance after a speeding ticket with an average rate estimate of $51 per month or $612 per year.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate After a Speeding Ticket||Average Yearly Rate After a Speeding Ticket|
|Utah Farm Bureau||$60||$720|
Car Insurance Rates in Utah: At-Fault Accident
Drivers will also probably face higher costs if they’re found at fault for a car accident. State Farm normally offers the cheapest coverage for Utah drivers after a recent accident, with an average rate estimate of $58 per month or $696 per year. USAA and Auto-Owners are known to have affordable coverage for drivers with an at-fault accident as well.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate After an At-Fault Accident||Average Yearly Rate After an At-Fault Accident|
|Utah Farm Bureau||$82||$984|
Car Insurance Rates in Utah: DUI
A violation for driving under the influence (DUI) can make Utah auto insurance premiums rise quickly. For motorists with a DUI on their driving record, State Farm offers average estimates of $53 per month or $636 per year. The Utah Farm Bureau and Progressive also offer some of the better rates on car insurance for these drivers.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate After a DUI||Average Yearly Rate After a DUI|
|Utah Farm Bureau||$60||$720|
Average Cost of Car Insurance in Utah
The average cost of car insurance in Utah comes out to $744 per year for minimum-liability insurance and $1,836 annually for full coverage. These rates are 19% higher than the national average for minimum coverage but almost 4% less than the national rate for full coverage.
Average Car Insurance Cost in Utah by City
Your location in Utah significantly impacts the auto insurance premiums you’ll be charged. Potential risk factors such as population density, crime rates, and weather patterns vary between ZIP codes, so car insurance rates will also. The table below shows the average rates for car insurance in Utah’s largest cities.
|City in Utah||Average Monthly Rate for Minimum Coverage||Average Monthly Rate for Full Coverage|
|West Valley City||$74||$177|
|Salt Lake City||$67||$168|
Utah Minimum Car Insurance Coverage
According to Utah law, all drivers must either meet or exceed the following minimum-coverage car insurance requirements:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $65,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $15,000 property damage liability per accident
- $3,000 personal injury protection (PIP)
Utah is a no-fault state, meaning that your own auto insurer will likely pay for car damages regardless of who caused an accident. While this system leads to faster claims payouts, it also typically leads to higher car insurance rates than the nationwide average.
While liability insurance and PIP are helpful, they don’t offer protection against everything. Both insurance agents and experts suggest that it’s better to move beyond state minimum-coverage car insurance policies. That’s because higher limits could stop you from having to pay large amounts of money out of pocket after an accident.
If you have collision coverage and comprehensive coverage, you’ll be safe from repair costs after car accidents, severe weather, and instances of theft or vandalism. Underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage are important types of insurance, and some drivers might also appreciate the protection given by roadside assistance.
Cheap Car Insurance in Utah: Conclusion
The cheapest car insurance in Utah often comes from Auto-Owners, which has average rates of $40 per month. It’s critical that you compare auto insurance quotes from various providers, however, to learn whether you could find more affordable coverage elsewhere.
You may also want to think about the protection of a full-coverage policy. The best rates we found for full coverage came in as reasonable as $88 per month from GEICO. More coverage generally means higher premiums, but it leads to more financial protection and peace of mind.
Best Car Insurance in Utah: Recommended Providers
While certain companies are known to provide low-priced premiums for Utah drivers, you’ll need to get car insurance quotes from various providers to find your best rates. We recommend considering GEICO and Auto-Owners as you start your search for Utah’s top auto insurer.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
Cheapest Auto Insurance in Utah: FAQ
Which company gives the cheapest car insurance?
State Farm usually offers the cheapest car insurance when it comes to national averages. Drivers in Utah tend to receive their lowest premiums from Auto-Owners and GEICO instead.
How much is car insurance per month in Utah?
The average cost of auto insurance per month in Utah is $62 for a minimum-coverage policy and $153 for full coverage. Our team found rates for car insurance in Utah as low as $40 per month for minimum coverage and $88 for a full-coverage policy.
How to reduce car insurance in Utah?
The easiest ways to decrease your car insurance cost in Utah are by lowering your amounts and types of coverage, increasing your deductible, and looking for driver discounts. Improving your credit score and bundling coverage with renters or homeowners insurance are other ways to get lower rates over time.
How much is car insurance on average in Utah?
Car insurance in Utah comes out to an average of $744 per year for minimum coverage and $1,836 annually for full-coverage policies.
Is it illegal to drive without insurance in Utah?
Yes, it’s illegal to drive without proof of insurance in Utah. Expect to receive a misdemeanor if you’re caught driving without coverage and current registration. It’s possible that you could be fined, have your driver’s license taken away, or have to serve time in prison.
Is it cheaper to pay car insurance every six months or monthly?
You’ll almost always pay less if you cover your car insurance policy every six months rather than on a per-month basis. Many auto insurers offer discounts for paying policies upfront, though this savings opportunity isn’t given by every provider.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car insurance providers.
- Affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team considers auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services and discount opportunities when giving this score.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that a car insurance company offers an array of coverage options. We take into account types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Industry Standing: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, financial strength, and years in business when giving this score.
- Availability: Auto insurers with greater state availability and few eligibility requirements are more likely to meet consumer needs.
- Customer Service: Reputable car insurance providers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We consider complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), J.D. Power claims servicing scores, and customer feedback.
- Online Experience: Insurers with easy-to-use websites and highly rated mobile apps scored best in this category.
*Data accurate at time of publication.