Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
Protect My Car (PMC) is a veteran of the extended car warranty industry, having underwritten plans since 2005. The provider administers vehicle service contracts in almost every state, and Protect My Car reviews are generally positive.
Below, we’ll take a close look at the extended service contract provider’s coverage, average costs, claims process, and customer service. To find the right protection plan for your vehicle, we suggest comparing Protect My Car to some other providers on our list of the best extended car warranty companies.
Compare Protect My Car Plans
Scroll to compare different extended warranty plans and get a quote in minutes
- Best for vehicles 4-10 years old with over 80,000 miles
- Comparable to a powertrain warranty
- Maximum coverage of 5 years / 125,000 miles
- Best for vehicles over 50,000 miles that don’t qualify for Supreme
- Highest level of stated-component coverage in Protect My Car plans
- Covers all parts of your vehicle other than turbocharger and navigation
- Best for new or low-mileage vehicles
- Comparable to a bumper-to-bumper warranty
- Maximum coverage of 5 years / 100,000 miles
- Comparable to a maintenance plan – includes routine maintenance benefits up to $3,500
- Covers annual safety inspection, alignment check, annual tire rotations, and up to three filter and oil changes
- Offers protection for salvaged or rebuilt vehicles, lift kits and unlimited miles
Protect My Car Review
In our industrywide review of the top extended warranty providers, Protect My Car earned 4.4 out of 5.0 stars, placing it sixth among overall.
What stands out about the company is its high customer satisfaction levels, which is why it earned the award for Best Customer Experience.
Protect My Car Pros and Cons
There’s a lot to like about Protect My Car if you’re considering extended coverage for your vehicle. However, the company does have some drawbacks.
|Protect My Car Pros||Protect My Car Cons|
|Easy access to claims over the phone||Not available in six states|
|Flexible financing terms of up to 48 months||Warranty coverage not available for vehicles more than 13 years old|
|Positive customer service experience|
What We Like About Protect My Car
Protect My Car earned one of the top scores in our 2023 extended warranty study, meaning it scored well in every category. However, there are a few things that stood out to our team:
- Flexible financing: Protect My Car offers payment terms of up to 48 months. This can bring down monthly payments and make coverage more affordable.
- Included benefits: All PMC plans include roadside assistance, trip interruption coverage, and rental car reimbursement.
- PMC Rewards: Protect My Car customers have access to PMC Rewards, a shopping and dining discount program.
Is Protect My Car Worth It?
An extended warranty from Protect My Car is likely worth it for car owners who want to avoid the risk of surprise repair bills. The provider is an especially solid option for people who value the customer service experience.
Protect My Car is also a good choice for vehicle owners who appreciate included perks. Benefits such as roadside assistance and PMC Rewards provide a little extra value with the coverage.
Protect My Car Highlights
Headquarters: Saint Petersburg, Florida
Coverage levels: 3
Protect My Car has been offering vehicle service contracts for nearly two decades. As a result, it’s earned a strong reputation among industry professionals and customers alike.
Extended warranties from Protect My Car are available in every state except Alaska, California, Hawaii, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Washington.
Protect My Car Customer Reviews
Protect My Car reviews don’t reflect the auto warranty company’s long history, despite it being in business since 2005. Protect My Car is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), though it does have an A+ rating.
Protect My Car earns 4.0 stars out of 5.0 from customers on the BBB. On Trustpilot, customers give the provider 4.4 out of 5.0 stars – among the highest in our study. Protect My Car reviews on Google are similarly positive, as the company has an average review score of 3.9 out of 5.0 stars.
Positive Protect My Car Reviews
Positive Protect My Car reviews mention the company’s knowledgeable customer service representatives and great coverage options.
“I have really enjoyed the service I have received from Protect My Car. They have been prompt and respectful and really helpful when I need them. They have also made it so easy for the mechanic to get paid without delay.”
– Jesse via Trustpilot
“Quality customer service as well as reasonable coverage and claim approval process. I have saved approximately $500 on repairs in the last two years, as well as a heightened peace of mind.”
– Chethan Lai via Google reviews
Protect My Car Complaints
Negative Protect My Car reviews note trouble getting coverage for car repairs under warranty, difficulty securing prorated refunds upon cancellation, and complaints from mechanics having a hard time getting claims approved.
“I have been dealing with this company for seven years, and every time I have my car repaired, they find an excuse to deny the claim. They are nearly impossible to get on the phone, and when you finally do, invariably, they disconnect you.”
– Dave L via BBB
“Not worth the price or the frustration. There is no communication or follow-up with the dealership or the customer. Every time you call, you’re placed on hold for half an hour before they disconnect you. Out of my $5,000 bill, they covered less than $1,000.”
– City Island Physical Therapy via Google reviews
A mix of positive and negative customer reviews is to be expected with any extended car warranty company. Protect My Car customer reviews are largely positive and speak to an above-average customer service experience.
Protect My Car Extended Warranty Costs
Our research team found that Supreme coverage from Protect My Car costs between $100 and $130 a month for four years of coverage. There’s sometimes an additional down payment for activating coverage that ranges from $50 to $100.
In our 2022 extended warranty survey of 1,000 customers, we found that most drivers pay between $1,600 and $3,200 for the full length of their coverage. We found that Protect My Car quotes were typically higher than the industry average, though this isn’t always true.
Extended Auto Warranty Cost Factors
The cost of an extended warranty for your car depends on several variables. These include:
- Type of car: The more expensive and larger your car is, the more you’ll pay for warranty coverage.
- Warranty deductible: A lower deductible means you’ll pay less out of pocket for covered repairs, but it also tends to increase the cost of your plan.
- Coverage plan: The more comprehensive your coverage plan, the more expensive it will cost.
- Warranty company: Companies offer different rates even on similar plans for the same vehicle. This is one of the reasons why it’s important to shop around for coverage.
- Model year: Older cars are more likely to have mechanical issues and therefore tend to be more expensive to cover.
- Current mileage: Cars with more miles on the odometer are likelier to need repairs. Because of this, providers tend to charge more to cover them.
Protect My Car Deductibles
Depending on which Protect My Car extended warranty plan you choose, you’ll pay the repair shop either $100 or $200 out of pocket when you take your car in for a covered repair. PMC will then cover the rest of your car repair costs.
Flexible Payment Plans
Protect My Car is one of the more flexible providers when it comes to how you pay for coverage. When you buy a plan from PMC, you’ll have the option to choose payment terms of between 36 and 48 months. You can also choose to pay for coverage upfront.
Protect My Car Coverage
Protect My Car offers three coverage plans to choose from. Options range from exclusionary coverage similar to a manufacturer’s warranty to powertrain coverage for older cars and high-mileage vehicles.
Protect My Car Warranty Coverage Breakdown
The table below shows which systems and components each PMC warranty plan covers – and which ones it doesn’t.
|Details||Driveline Plan||Select Plan||Supreme Plan|
|Best Plan For:||New or low-mileage vehicles||Vehicles over 50,000 miles that don’t qualify for Supreme coverage||Vehicles four to 10 years old with over 80,000 miles|
|Comparable Type of Coverage||Bumper-to-bumper warranty||Highest level of stated-component coverage||Powertrain coverage|
|Maximum Length of Coverage||5 years/100,000 miles||Varies||5 years/125,000 miles|
|Air Conditioning and Heating||X||X||X|
|Front and Rear Suspension||X||X|
|Select Brake System Components||X||X|
Both the Supreme and Select plans come with a $100 deductible, while the Driveline plan comes with a $200 deductible. You can find Protect My Car’s sample contracts online, which provides some transparency into how the company operates.
Protect My Car Warranty Benefits
The company’s benefits are a frequent topic of positive Protect My Car reviews. The company packages more benefits into its plans than most others. These perks include:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Towing to a licensed repair facility
- Free oil changes
- Tire rotations
- Rental car reimbursement
Protect My Car offers above-average benefits and a 30-day money-back guarantee for drivers who wish to cancel their warranty plans.
How To Use a Protect My Car Warranty
Protect My Car has a simple and straightforward claims process. There are just a few steps you need to take:
- Check your contract: First, make sure your warranty covers the repair you need. Your plan’s covered components and exclusions will be listed in your contract.
- Authorize repairs: Make a phone call to the PMC claims department and provide details about your need. A representative may request an inspection or diagnosis from the mechanic. If your repair is covered, the company will authorize the fix.
- Get to the repair shop: Take your car to any repair shop certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE®). Tell your mechanic about the protection plan.
- Pay for service: Protect My Car will pay the repair shop directly. However, you’ll need to cover the deductible listed in your contract upfront.
- Provide documents: To finish your claim, you’ll need to send over documentation to the Protect My Car claims department within 30 days.
Protect My Car Warranty Claims
Protect My Car reviews suggest that when you file a claim, it can be difficult to get coverage approved by the company’s claims department. This is somewhat concerning since the whole idea behind an extended warranty is to protect your vehicle in times of trouble.
Mechanics have also filed complaints saying they face issues getting in touch with PMC. Roadside assistance services should be easier to get if your car needs help but won’t need to head to the repair shop.
What’s Excluded From Protect My Car Warranties?
An extended auto warranty offers protection for repairs that come as a result of normal use of your vehicle. Even the most comprehensive plans won’t cover you in every situation, however.
Here are some items that aren’t covered by a Protect My Car extended warranty:
- Preexisting repair needs
- Repairs caused by competitive driving
- Normal wear and tear items
- Repairs resulting from improper use or misuse
- Repairs resulting from lack of maintenance
- Weather-related repairs
- Damage due to car accidents, theft, or vandalism
Since your auto insurance policy may cover damage to any part of your vehicle in a collision, your warranty won’t cover that. Some parts aren’t covered under any condition, such as bulbs, hoses, catalytic converters, and other emissions components.
How To Cancel a Protect My Car Warranty
If you want to cancel your Protect My Car coverage, you can do so at any time. Depending on how long it’s been since you started coverage, you may even be eligible for a full refund.
To cancel your Protect My Car extended warranty, you need to take the following steps:
- Complete the online cancellation form at protectmycar.com.
- Call the PMC phone number at 1-844-556-4762 to initiate the cancellation process.
- Send a paper copy of your completed cancellation form to:
Protect My Car LLC
570 Carillon Parkway Suite 300
St. Petersburg, FL 33716
It may also be a good idea to send your form through registered mail so that you can get delivery confirmation.
Protect My Car Review: Conclusion
Protect My Car offers comprehensive extended warranty coverage at higher-than-average prices. Your plan will include oil changes and tire rotations, which are rarely a part of vehicle service contracts. These perks may be what increases the overall cost of PMC coverage.
Protect My Car reviews largely favor the business and point toward the company’s positive business practices and excellent customer service reputation.
Protect My Car: Recommended Alternatives
While Protect My Car offers several coverage options and lots of extra perks, we suggest getting free, no-obligation quotes from other reputable extended car warranty companies. That way, you can compare these free quotes to make sure you’re paying the best rates for coverage.
Endurance: Best Overall
Endurance is a direct extended warranty provider, meaning it provides and fulfills most plans without brokers or middlemen. The warranty provider offers six levels of coverage ranging from bumper-to-bumper warranties to basic powertrain warranties. All Endurance vehicle service plans come with 24/7 roadside assistance, trip interruption coverage, and rental car reimbursement.
Endurance also has many positive customer service reviews. The warranty provider has a 4.0-star rating on Trustpilot and a 3.6-star rating on the BBB website. Positive Endurance warranty reviews touch on the company’s competitive rates and customer service.
You can read more about the company in our Endurance warranty review.
CARCHEX: Best for Used Cars
CARCHEX is a leader in the extended warranty industry and has provided services to drivers for over 20 years. The company specializes in plans geared toward high-mileage vehicles, which is why we named CARCHEX as Best for Used Cars. The warranty provider offers five vehicle protection plans that are customizable to fit the needs of your vehicle.
CARCHEX has decent ratings across customer review outlets. The warranty provider earned an A+ rating from the BBB and holds a 2.8-star rating on Trustpilot.
Find out more in our CARCHEX review.
Protect My Car Review: FAQ
Below are some frequently asked questions about Protect My Car reviews.
Is Protect My Car legit?
Yes, Protect My Car reviews reveal that the company is a reputable extended warranty provider backed by high BBB and Trustpilot customer reviews. In our extended car warranty review, we gave Protect My Car a score of 4.4 out of 5.0 stars.
How much does Protect My Car cost?
Based on our research, the Protect My Car Supreme Plan costs between $100 and $130 a month for four years of coverage. Compared to other car warranty providers, Protect My Car’s costs are a bit above average. Extended car warranty prices depend on your vehicle make, mileage, and age.
How does Protect My Car work?
Protect My Car offers standard extended car warranties. If a mechanical breakdown occurs, Protect My Car pays the repair bill for covered vehicle components. You’re only responsible for a deductible and the cost of the contract. If you’ve opted for one of Protect My Car’s combination plans, routine maintenance services will also be covered.
What is the Protect My Car service number?
If you need to reach customer support, you can call the Protect My Car service number at 888-964-6754. You can use this number to speak with someone about the details of your plan or to ask any questions you might have.
How do you cancel Protect My Car?
To cancel your Protect My Car extended warranty, you need to complete the online cancellation form. Then, call 1-844-556-4762 to initiate the cancellation process. Finally, send your completed cancellation form to the company through registered mail.
Does Protect My Car cover body damage?
Protect My Car warranties, like nearly all car warranties, don’t cover body damage. That’s because they’re not meant to. Body damage is typically covered by your car insurance policy, depending on which coverage types you have.
Is Protect My Car the same as CarShield?
Protect My Car and CarShield are separate companies and are unrelated. However, both are reputable providers of extended auto warranties.
Does Protect My Car cover transmissions?
Yes, every Protect My Car service contract covers expensive transmission repairs.
Does Protect My Car cover oil changes?
Protect My Car extended warranty plans all include coverage for oil changes. This is a useful benefit that’s uncommon in the vehicle service contract industry.
Does Protect My Car cover damage from a car accident?
Protect My Car doesn’t cover damage from a car accident, even to listed components. That responsibility may fall on your insurance company.
How long has Protect My Car been in business?
Protect My Car has been in business for over 18 years. The company first opened in 2005.
Does Protect My Car have a waiting period?
Protect My Car has a 30-day waiting period on its warranty plans, meaning you can’t use the coverage within the first 30 days of signing your contract.
Who owns Protect My Car?
Since 2018, Protect My Car has been owned by Crestview Partners, a New York-based company.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best extended auto warranty providers.
- Industry Standing: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, availability, and years in business when giving this score.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that a car warranty company offers an array of coverage options. We take into account the number of plans offered by each provider, term limits, exclusions, and additional benefits.
- Affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team performs ongoing secret shopper analyses for different vehicles, mileages, warranty plans, and locations to give this rating.
- Transparency: We consider the transparency of each company’s contracts and the availability of a money-back guarantee when determining this score.
- Customer Service: Reputable extended car warranty companies operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We take into account customer reviews, BBB complaints, and the responsiveness of the customer service team.
*Data accurate at time of publication.