Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
If you purchase a car through AutoNation, you may be wondering whether the retailer’s vehicle protection plans are a good investment. In this article, we’ll discuss the AutoNation extended warranty in detail to help you make your decision.
In addition to taking an in-depth look at AutoNation’s coverage plans, costs, and customer service reviews, we’ll introduce you to the best extended car warranty companies that may offer better peace of mind.
To start comparing free quotes from our top recommended providers, click below.
Featured Extended Warranty Companies
We reviewed the best extended auto warranty providers, and here are our top picks.
Best Overall Provider
On Our Partner’s Website(866) 990-3410
Or Call Our Partner Directly
Affordable Monthly Payment
On Our Partner’s Website(877) 265-5123
Or Call Our Partner Directly
Best Provider for Used Cars
On Our Partner’s Website(866) 950-7122
Or Call Our Partner Directly
AutoNation is a U.S.-based car retailer that sells new and used vehicles. The company has been in business since 1996 and has risen to be a major player in the car-selling industry.
When you purchase a vehicle from this retailer, you’ll have the option to add on an AutoNation extended warranty, along with other additional coverage plans.
AutoNation Extended Warranty Coverage
AutoNation offers five different levels of comprehensive coverage plans: Platinum, Gold, Silver, Powertrain, and Engine. Unfortunately, AutoNation doesn’t list its maximum term limits, so you’ll need to ask about how long these plans last when you speak to a representative.
Here’s an overview of what each AutoNation vehicle protection plan covers:
- Platinum: A bumper-to-bumper warranty that protects most vehicle components
- Gold: Protects high-tech car parts like the anti-lock braking system and power window motors, plus enhanced hybrid and electric components
- Silver: Covers everything in the lower-tier Powertrain and Engine plans, plus the steering, suspension, braking, electrical, and air conditioning systems
- Powertrain: Protects your engine, transmission, front- and rear-wheel drive, and a few hybrid components
- Engine: Covers specific engine components
With every AutoNation extended warranty, you’ll receive a few different benefits at no extra charge, including:
- Rental reimbursement: Up to $35 per day for a maximum of 10 days towards your rental car while your personal vehicle is in the repair shop
- 24/7 emergency roadside assistance: Includes battery jump-starts, emergency fuel deliveries, towing services, flat-tire services, and more
- Travel interruption reimbursement: Up to $200 per day for a maximum of five days to cover basic travel expenses if you break down far from home and must stay overnight while your vehicle is being repaired
Another perk of choosing an AutoNation extended warranty is that coverage is honored at more than 70,000 licensed repair facilities nationwide. This is a much larger selection than most manufacturers and third-party warranty companies offer.
What’s Not Included?
Like any vehicle service contract, there are a few exclusions to AutoNation extended warranty plans. For example, the following components and damages are not covered:
- Body panels
- Normal wear and tear
- Unauthorized modifications
- Damage from accidents or collisions
- Damage due to negligence, abuse, or misuse
- Batteries, including hybrid and electric batteries
- Maintenance services like oil changes and tire rotations
If you want coverage for your tires and wheels, maintenance services, or vehicle appearance parts, AutoNation sells a number of add-on coverage plans to supplement your AutoNation extended warranty. These include:
- Dent protection
- Windshield protection
- Tire and wheel protection plans
- Prepaid maintenance coverage
- Guaranteed asset protection (GAP) coverage
- Excess wear-and-tear protection for leased vehicles
- Appearance protection for items like exterior paint, unavoidable dents, and interior surfaces
AutoNation Extended Warranty Cost
Because AutoNation sells vehicle service contracts to customers purchasing vehicles, it does not list sample prices online. The cost of an AutoNation extended warranty will vary based on a few different factors.
Here’s what you should consider when assessing cost:
- Term length: A coverage plan that lasts longer will be more expensive.
- Coverage level: If you purchase a more comprehensive coverage plan, it will most likely cost more.
- Deductibles: AutoNation offers a number of deductible options, and choosing a higher deductible will lower your premium cost.
- Vehicle make, model, and age: Luxury or high-end models and higher-mileage or older vehicles may have higher warranty costs than other cars.
How to Get a Quote & File a Claim with AutoNation
To get an AutoNation extended warranty quote, you must visit an AutoNation dealership. The provider doesn’t offer any online quotes and doesn’t let potential customers call to find out cost information. There are about 325 AutoNation dealerships in the U.S., and you can use the company’s online dealership locator tool to find your nearest retailer.
When filing a claim with AutoNation, you’ll need to first contact the provider to receive authorization for each repair. From there, AutoNation will confirm whether your claim is covered and work with your mechanic to figure out pricing.
AutoNation Extended Warranty Reviews
AutoNation’s customer reviews are mixed, which isn’t uncommon for an extended warranty provider. Some of the negative reviews mentioned price mark-ups and unexplained expenses, while positive reviews discussed pleasant customer service with little haggling.
According to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), AutoNation has received about 200 complaints in the last three years. This number is small considering the size of the company. Plus, keep in mind that customers with overwhelmingly negative experiences are more likely to post reviews, and take their remarks with a grain of salt.
Our Final Thoughts on the AutoNation Extended Warranty
If you’re offered an AutoNation extended warranty, it may be a good investment. But you’ll need to take a thorough look at specific plan details, costs, and term limits before deciding whether to purchase coverage.
We like the additional benefits AutoNation provides and its many coverage options, but we don’t like the provider’s lack of online plan information. If you’re not well-versed in extended warranties, it helps to be able to read sample contracts before you meet with a salesperson.
Top Recommendations for Extended Car Warranties
If you get a quote from AutoNation, it’s always best to reach out to a few other providers as well. By getting multiple quotes, you can scope out what options are available to you. This also helps ensure that you find a coverage plan within your budget.
There are a number of reputable extended car warranty companies to choose from. To kick-start your research, you can read about our two top recommended providers below.
Endurance: Best Overall
Endurance offers drivers five coverage options, which can extend up to 8 years or 200,000+ miles. If you’re looking for comprehensive coverage, consider the Endurance Supreme plan. It acts as a continuation of your vehicle’s original bumper-to-bumper coverage after your factory warranty expires. Endurance also has lower coverage levels for drivers interested in more basic protection.
To get a better look at this provider’s plan options, added benefits package, costs, and more, read our complete Endurance warranty review. You can also find out how much an Endurance warranty would cost for your vehicle by getting a free quote below.
CARCHEX: Best for Used Cars
If you have an older car that needs protection, consider reaching out to CARCHEX. The provider has the industry’s best coverage options for high-mileage cars. It offers five different plans, which can extend up to 10 years or 250,000 miles. The provider also offers sample contracts online for your benefit.
For more information, read our comprehensive CARCHEX review. You can also get a free, personalized CARCHEX quote by clicking below.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best extended auto warranty providers.
- Affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team performs ongoing secret shopper analyses for different vehicles, mileages, warranty plans, and locations to give this rating.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that a car warranty company offers an array of coverage options. We take into account the number of plans offered by each provider, term limits, exclusions, and additional benefits.
- Industry Standing: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, availability, and years in business when giving this score.
- Customer Service: Reputable extended car warranty companies operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We take into account customer reviews, BBB complaints, and the responsiveness of the customer service team.