Despite high service-fees, we give uShip 4.5 out of 5.0 stars due to it’s variety of transport options and ability to ship different vehicle types.
uShip is an online shipping marketplace that provides a broad range of vehicle transport services throughout the U.S. and internationally. But is uShip the best shipping provider for you? This in-depth auto transport guide will examine uShip reviews, costs, benefits, and more.
Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
A solid choice for car shipping.
Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
We rate uShip 4.5 out of 5.0 stars and give it an award for Best Marketplace in the shipping industry. Based on reputation, prices, services, and uShip reviews, the auto transport marketplace is a solid choice for car shipping.
With over 41,000 transportation service providers, 6 million customers, and 9.1 million shipment listings, according to its website, as well as scores of positive uShip reviews online, the company has made its mark on the car transport industry.
Headquarters: Austin, Texas
Better Business Bureau (BBB) Rating: A+
BBB Customer Rating: 4.55 out of 5.0
Service Area:All 50 states, plus overseas shipping
uShip is a reputable company that provides a car shipping marketplace. The company connects people with vehicle carriers that can fulfill their car shipping needs. At uship.com, customers create a listing with their shipping needs and carriers bid on the jobs, making it easy to compare offers and find competitive shipping rates. The company provides options for local and long-distance moves through its online marketplace, where carriers bid on your shipping job through the auto transporter’s website.
Is uShip Good?
Part of uShip’s success is due to the simplicity of transporting a vehicle on the platform. The company’s marketplace model allows you to ship just about anything you want and get a competitive price for the service. Because of this, many people will appreciate being able to use the same service to move their household goods as well as their vehicles.
However, that marketplace model has a few drawbacks, too. It’s more complex than brokers or direct providers. You’ll also have to vet carriers yourself to ensure quality service. Other providers may offer a more straightforward and transparent process if this is your first time shipping a car.
uShip Pros and Cons
Shipping a car with uShip has some unique advantages and disadvantages due to its business model.
|uShip Pros||uShip Cons|
|Competitive pricing||Doesn’t vet drivers individually|
|Easy to compare offers from multiple auto movers||Prices often vary from original quote and company adds service charge|
|Also offers household moving services||uShip app has mixed reviews|
In addition to its accreditation from the BBB, uShip has an A+ rating and a 4.5 out of 5.0-star average rating on BBB’s website, based on more than 375 customer reviews. It has closed over 40 BBB customer complaints in the past three years.
The company also holds an average 4.3-star rating out of 5.0 on Trustpilot based on uShip reviews from nearly 11,000 customers. 65% of reviews rated uShip 5.0 stars overall.
uShip Customer Reviews
Our research team found that in general, uShip has mostly positive reviews from customers. While we did find negative comments and complaints in online forums, review sites, and our survey, sentiment about the company seems to be positive overall.
uShip Reviews: Car Shipping Survey
Our research team surveyed 1,000 auto shipping customers in late 2021. Based on the results, uShip was the fourth-most popular shipping provider, with around 8% of respondents saying they used the company. The following chart shows how the survey results break down:
Around 59% of uShip customers in the survey said they were at least “somewhat satisfied” with their service. While this is still a majority of customers, it was the lowest percentage among major providers.
Only 40% of respondents who used uShip said they would recommend the company to someone else, meaning most would not recommend uShip. However, the marketplace was one of the most popular options for international shipping.
Among problems reported by uShip customers in the study, these were the most common:
- Guaranteed pickup dates were not fulfilled (almost 50% more common than other issues on this list)
- Poor communication from the shipping company
- Poor communication from the carrier
Positive uShip Reviews
Customers have praised uShip for its marketplace platform and for allowing you to select the best driver for your shipping needs by accepting a bid. Overall, 14.5% of reviews explicitly mention recommending the company to others.
“The uShip service works well. The independent shippers are what make the whole system work. I have had mostly very good shippers and a very good overall experience. The one bad shipper I encountered was handled very well by uShip. It’s a great service to have at your disposal. I highly recommend uShip.”
– David R. via BBB
“I was able to save thousands of dollars [with uShip]. My money went to a smaller business that will support a small family instead of a large shipping company. The shipper was friendly, professional, and communicated very well. I was able to choose this shipper based on many reviews that other people had given them. I am very satisfied with this website/service.”
– Angela K. via Trustpilot
Even though relatively few uShip customers mention bad experiences with the auto shipping marketplace, some negative uShip reviews feature complaints about hidden fees and high service fees.
“Upon researching uShip, I found that uShip charged the shipper almost 15% as a fee, and I also paid a fee of $30 for the service. The quote was for $400, so between the shipper and myself, uShip received $87.50 in fees. I do not believe they screen the shippers in any way, and uShip will not get involved if there is a problem with a shipper and buyer beware stance.”
– Greg A. via BBB
“Higher charges than industry standards to both the person shipping and the person delivering. When an issue arrives, uShip provides poor service on trying to resolve an issue but still takes their portion. Worst experience with a company I have had.”
– Scott H. via Trustpilot
uShip Reviews on Reddit
Some car shipping customers also go to the online forum Reddit to look for and provide answers about auto transport companies. Comments on the site vary, with some users pointing to the marketplace model as a source of frustration due to a lack of oversight over the carriers themselves.
“They’re just a large load board or broker that facilitates it between shippers and customers. It can be a decent way to get some offers (as you have), but they’re also taking a cut and raising your cost. You might be better served by going with an auto shipping company that you can deal with directly.” – u/Goudabooty
“I’ve done it. It cost me about $1200 to ship it but when my truck got here it ended up being an extra $200. The drivers didn’t directly work for uShip so I couldn’t not pay them. Its like concert tickets; the price you see isn’t the price you pay.” – u/wojojojojo
However, just as with most of the other online sentiments about uShip, Reddit comments about the company were mostly positive. In many cases, commenters who claim to have used the service as drivers pushed back against some of the criticisms.
“uShip is no more scammy than eBay; you simply have to look at the drivers’ ratings. We can’t fake reviews, and if I steal things from people they will leave a bad one. I had to scan my ID in to make my account valid as well.” – u/BattleCatPrintShop
The cost of auto transport services through uShip will vary depending on many factors, but the typical price range for a shipment is $500 to $2,000. The reason for such a large range is that shipping costs vary depending on your carrier and several other variables.
We gathered uShip costs so you could get a good idea of the shipping prices you might find on the marketplace. Since the price for no two vehicle shipments is alike, your uShip quotes will vary.
|Vehicle||Pickup/Delivery Locations||Miles (Approx.)||Cost|
|2017 Cadillac Escalade||Ellenwood, GA, to North Miami, FL||641||$355|
|2016 Nissan Altima||Mobile, AL, to Houston||468||$400|
|2018 Mercedes-Benz E-Class||Youngstown, OH, to Nashville, TN||555||$650|
|2017 Chevrolet Malibu||Plano, TX, to Los Angeles||1,454||$710|
|2016 Hyundai Elantra||Colorado Springs, CO, to Davenport, IA||908||$723|
|2018 BMW 5 Series||Kissimmee, FL, to Memphis, TN||840||$839|
|2018 Subaru Outback||Darien, IL, to San Antonio||1,178||$1,006|
|2020 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque||Denver to Palm Harbor, FL||1,870||$1,030|
|2017 Chevrolet Equinox||Tamarac, FL, to San Diego||2,627||$1,074|
|2016 Toyota Tacoma||San Jose, CA, to Wichita, KS||1,637||$1,200|
|2017 Kia Forte||Long Beach, CA, to Cambridge, MA||2,993||$1,551|
uShip Service Fee
Since uShip is a marketplace and not a traditional broker or direct provider, the company charges a service fee for shippers and carriers in addition to your shipping rates.
You will pay a service fee directly to the company at the time of booking. The uShip fee varies by shipment but can range from $25 to $150 – up to 17% of your total shipping cost. Carriers usually have to pay around 13% of their earnings to uShip.
uShip: Ship With Confidence Guarantee
One aspect that stood out to our review team was uShip’s Ship With Confidence Guarantee. This program helps people who may not have all the insurance coverage they thought they did or who have trouble fulfilling an insurance claim.
According to the company’s website, uShip will reimburse you up to $500 if you need help collecting on a damage claim from a carrier or getting a refund.
Each carrier you find through uShip will have different ways of determining how much to charge you. The following factors are some of the most important when it comes to calculating your rates:
- Shipping distance: The most significant factor in your shipping cost is distance. Carriers charge by the mile, but that per-mile rate decreases as distance increases. So while a cross-country shipment from New York to California will cost more overall than a short-distance move, the per-mile rate will be less.
- Shipping time frame: If you can afford to be flexible, you’ll get the best rates on car shipping with uShip. If, instead, you need your car shipped in a hurry, you’ll have to pay more.
- Vehicle type and size: Larger vehicles, such as SUVs and more expensive ones, cost more to ship than smaller and less costly ones.
- Shipping method: Open container shipping is cheaper than enclosed container shipping, but it also exposes your car to road hazards and inclement weather during transit.
- Time of year: Shipping prices rise and fall with demand. Trying to ship your car in the summer when demand is high will cost the most, with prices starting to drop in the fall.
- Pickup and drop-off locations: If it’s an option, terminal-to-terminal shipping can be less expensive than door-to-door transport and much less convenient.
- Special considerations: You’ll need to pay more if your auto transporter needs to take special care of your vehicle. Classic cars and non-standard vehicles like RVs or boats usually cost more to ship than standard vehicles
Because it is a marketplace with access to a wide selection of movers, you have many choices regarding how you want your car shipped. Here are some of the options you’ll have to choose from:
- Door-to-door shipping: With this option, you can have your car picked up and delivered to your chosen points. This could be your home or somewhere that’s convenient for you.
- Terminal-to-terminal shipping: You can save money by shipping your car between two centralized distribution points.
- Enclosed transport: uShip allows you to ship your car in an enclosed container. This better protects your vehicle during shipping, offering more peace of mind.
- Open transport: Shipping your car in an open container doesn’t offer you the same protection as an enclosed trailer, but it comes at a significantly lower price point.
- Expedited shipping: If you need to transport your vehicle as soon as possible, you can pay a premium to have your service rushed.
- International shipping: With uShip, you can also find carriers who can ship your car to another country, either overland or via cargo ship.
uShip Alternative Shipping Options
As a marketplace, uShip offers shipping services for more than just standard cars and trucks. You can also ship the following items with uShip:
- Farm equipment
- Freight shipments for businesses
- Household items (furniture, appliances, etc.)
- Jet Skis
- Commercial vehicles
Many car shipping customers also require household moving services. Luckily, uShip is a popular option for these services as well. The company can assist with moving anything from a studio to a five-bedroom house or larger. uShip can also arrange for office relocations, including breaking down and reassembling cubicles.
uShip Cargo Insurance
You always have the option to buy cargo insurance through one of uShip’s third-party insurance companies, and this is a perfect idea if your carrier of choice is not insured. Once you meet a deductible of your choosing, cargo insurance covers any direct physical loss or damage the car might incur during the shipping process.
The price of your cargo insurance, which you’ll pay for at checkout after selecting your carrier from the uShip online marketplace, will vary depending on the amount you request when choosing a service provider.
How Does uShip Work?
Rather than calling for a quote or requesting car shipping quotes online, you’ll list your shipping request in the uShip marketplace. This makes the process a little different than other car moving companies.
Many positive uShip reviews mention how easy the shipping process is. There are just a few steps to finding a motor carrier with the company.
- Set up an account at uShip.com
- Enter information about your shipping needs, including your vehicle type, pickup and delivery locations, and which types of service you need.
- Start by getting an instant quote from carriers. But wait to make a decision, as you can typically find cheaper rates through the marketplace.
- Post your request in the uShip marketplace. Wait for bids on your service.
- Compare car shipping quotes and make your selection.
How Do I Bid On uShip?
uShip bidding is an online platform that allows customers to post requests for shipping services from one place to another. Customers can list their items, origin and destination locations, and desired dates. Once a request is posted, registered transporters can bid on the job. The customer can then review the bids and either accept or deny them. After accepting, you must fill out the required fields, and then you are good to go.
One important thing to note is that, in its role as a marketplace, uShip does not vet individual carriers. Instead, that responsibility falls on you. The low estimates you’ll get from some providers may sound enticing, but those companies may have a poor record when it comes to safety, dispute resolution, and more.
After you’ve chosen your carrier, you’ll need to work the remaining details out with them directly to avoid any unnecessary hassles. Each individual carrier has its own processes and ways of communicating, so how you approach this final step is highly variable.
How To Vet a Carrier Yourself
Several of the uShip reviews we read mentioned issues with the carrier, so the vetting process is an important one if you want to ensure a smooth shipping service. The United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) offers a free tool that allows you to easily research auto transporters yourself.
To use the tool, simply enter the carrier’s USDOT number into the search field. Once you submit it, you’ll be able to find crash information, safety ratings, safety records, and more.
You can also find customer reviews online for many carriers. But keep in mind, many people only leave reviews when they’ve had a frustrating or otherwise difficult customer experience. A handful of negative reviews is to be expected with any company, but beware of patterns of bad business practices you find in customer complaints.
uShip tracking is a convenient and reliable way to keep track of all the items or the vehicle you ship with them. From cars to large packages to small parcels, uShip tracking lets you easily monitor your shipments in real-time. With uShip tracking, you can check the status of every shipment you book from when it leaves your hands. You can use the mobile app to track your shipment every step of the way.
Through the uShip app, you can access a streamlined view of listings for quicker and easier use. Here, you can create a listing, pick a carrier, and track the status of your shipment.
The uShip app is available to both iPhone and Android users and has a 3.6 out of 5.0-star rating on Google Play and a 2.3 out of 5.0-star rating on the App Store. Users complain about a variety of issues with the mobile app. These include frequently getting logged out, being redirected to the uShip website, and being unable to send messages to carriers.
uShip Cancellation Policy
uShip’s website stresses that it’s okay to change your mind and cancel your service. If your car has yet to be picked up, the process is pretty simple, and you’ll handle everything through your online portal at the uShip website.
You’ll need to specify why you canceled your service with a detailed explanation, then submit your request. A uShip representative will assess your request. If necessary, they’ll contact the carrier and work toward a resolution.
Once they decide, you can get a full refund on your service if your cancellation request is approved.
How To Use uShip Household Moving Services
Finding a carrier for moving services through uShip isn’t too different from finding a car carrier. There are just a few steps:
- Provide information about your shipment: On the uShip homepage, select “household items” from the list of shipping options. On the next page, you’ll need to specify which types of items you want to move. You can add as many items as you need to to make sure you get an accurate price.
- Give your shipping locations: After entering the items you want to move, you’ll need to input your pickup and drop-off locations.
- Create a listing: After you submit your information, uShip will present you with a range of cost estimates for your shipment, the likelihood that someone will accept your offer based on those prices, and the time it should take for someone to accept your offer based on those prices. You can use this information to name your price and create a listing for your shipment.
- Wait for offers: Once you’ve created a listing, you’ll need to wait for offers to come in. You may see some right away, but it’s best to wait until you have multiple offers so that you can compare. Individual carriers may present you with more options with their offers, such as the level of service required.
- Book your move: After you find the best offer, sign your contract with the carrier. They will provide you with further instructions on how to pay and prepare your shipment.
If you want to get the best price on uShip moving services, it’s important to be flexible with your pickup and drop-off dates. Carriers are usually looking to pick up extra cargo on their routes, so waiting a bit for something to line up can pay off.
Our Rating: 4.4 out of 5.0
A solid choice for car shipping.
uShip Review: Conclusion
In this article, we reviewed the uShip platform and provided in-depth information regarding its prices and service offering. While uShip has it’s upsides, we recommend reaching out to auto shippers for free, no-obligation quotes so you can make an informed decision about where to spend your money.
Consider our other top-rated providers if you are not interested in using uShip for your car shipping needs. Below are two picks from our review of the best car shipping companies that might also satisfy your shipping needs:
Montway Auto Transport: Best Service
Rated highest among the shippers we reviewed, Montway Auto Transport receives 4.7 out of 5.0 stars from our panel of auto experts and earns the distinction of Best Service. The shipping broker not only serves all 50 states but also ships internationally and has a broad range of transport options that include expedited shipping and open and enclosed transport.
Montway stands out for its 24/7 customer support, instant quotes, numerous discounts, and large network of more than 15,000 truck drivers. The company also has decidedly favorable reviews on Google, the BBB website, and Trustpilot, indicating a high degree of customer satisfaction.
For more information, read our Montway Auto Transport review.
Our Rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
AmeriFreight: Best Deals
While the initial quote you receive from AmeriFreight may not be as cheap as the one you receive from other auto transport companies, AmeriFreight makes up for it with its wide array of discounts that led us to name it the shipping company with the Best Deals.
Among those eligible for a discount with the shipping broker are active-duty military members, students, senior citizens, medical personnel, first responders, and return customers. If you ship multiple vehicles at once, AmeriFreight also offers a $50 discount for every vehicle except the first one.
We give AmeriFreight a 4.5-star rating and recommend getting a car shipping quote from the company.
To learn more, check out our full-length AmeriFreight review.
Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
uShip Reviews: FAQ
Below are some frequently asked questions about uShip.
How does uShip work?
The online uShip marketplace connects you to hundreds of carriers that can ship a variety of items. Among them are vehicles, furniture, heavy equipment, and even large livestock. You sign up on the website, list your item, and compare shipping options from carriers who bid on your listed shipment.
Does uShip charge a fee?
Along with the final bid price, you will have to pay a service fee to uShip. This service charge can range from $25 to $150 and must be paid when you book.
Is uShip a legit car shipping company?
Yes, uShip is a legitimate company. Yes, uShip is a legit car shipping service. However, uShip doesn’t vet carriers beyond making sure they are licensed. The potential for scams does exist, just like with any marketplace. We encourage you to check out a carrier’s profile and shipping history before accepting their bid.
Are there other companies like uShip?
Shiply, CitizenShipper, and Uber Freight are some fairly well-known alternatives that operate similarly to uShip’s marketplace platform. You can also choose the traditional shipping route and move your vehicle with an auto transport broker such as Montway Auto Transport, Easy Auto Ship, Sherpa Auto Transport, or AmeriFreight.
Should you tip uShip drivers?
You aren’t required to tip drivers who work with uShip, but if you are very satisfied with your car shipment and believe you’ve received excellent service, then a tip will be greatly appreciated – especially if uShip charges your driver a large service fee.
Are uShip shipments insured?
uShip does not verify whether an individual carrier has insurance, so not all uShip shipments are insured. However, the company does offer cargo insurance through third-party providers that you can purchase along with your shipment.
Does uShip cover damage?
If you buy separate cargo insurance from uShip, it covers 100% of damages to your vehicle. This insurance also covers a total loss.
How long does uShip take to deliver?
According to its website, shipments under 1,000 miles take less than five days. Shipments of around 1,500 miles can take up to nine days.
Is uShip safe?
Why scamming happens in the car shipping world, uShip is an extremely safe way to ship you car any distance you need.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car shipping companies.
- Prices: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team performs ongoing secret shopper analyses for different vehicles, services, and shipping routes to give this rating.
- Services: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that an auto transport company offers an array of services. We take into account the availability of services, ability to guarantee pickup and drop-off dates, and insurance coverage options.
- Reputation: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, a company’s history of service, and years in business when giving this score.
- Customer Service: Reputable car shippers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We take into account customer reviews, BBB complaints, and the responsiveness of the customer service team.