Despite high service fees, we give uShip 4.5 out of 5.0 stars due to its variety of transport options and the ability to ship many vehicle types.
Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
uShip is an online shipping marketplace that provides a broad range of vehicle transport services throughout the U.S. and internationally. But is uShip the best shipping provider for your needs? This in-depth auto transport guide will examine uShip reviews, costs, benefits, and customer service standards.
Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
A solid choice for car shipping.
We offer uShip 4.5 out of 5.0 stars and give it an award for the Best Marketplace in the shipping industry. Based on its reputation, prices, services, and uShip reviews, the auto transport marketplace is a solid choice for car shipping.
With over 41,000 transportation service providers, 6 million customers, and 9.1 million shipment listings, the company has clearly made its mark on the car transport industry.
Positive uShip Reviews
Customers have praised uShip for its marketplace platform that allows car owners to select the best driver for their shipping needs by accepting a bid. Overall, 14.5% of reviews explicitly mention recommending the company to others.
“The uShip service works well. The independent shippers are what make the whole system work. I have had mostly very good shippers and a very good overall experience. The one bad shipper I encountered was handled very well by uShip. It’s a great service to have at your disposal. I highly recommend uShip.”
– David R. via BBB
“I was able to save thousands of dollars [with uShip]. My money went to a smaller business that will support a small family instead of a large shipping company. The shipper was friendly, professional, and communicated very well. I was able to choose this shipper based on many reviews that other people had given them. I am very satisfied with this website/service.”
– Angela K. via Trustpilot
Even though relatively few uShip customers mention bad experiences with the auto shipping marketplace, negative uShip reviews feature complaints about hidden and high service fees.
“Upon researching uShip, I found that uShip charged the shipper almost 15% as a fee, and I also paid a fee of $30 for the service. The quote was for $400, so between the shipper and myself, uShip received $87.50 in fees. I do not believe they screen the shippers in any way, and uShip will not get involved if there is a problem with a shipper.”
– Greg A. via BBB
“Higher charges than industry standards to both the person shipping and the person delivering. When an issue arrives, uShip provides poor service on trying to resolve an issue but still takes their portion. Worst experience with a company I have had.”
– Scott H. via Trustpilot
uShip Reviews on Reddit
Some car shipping customers also go to the online forum Reddit to look for and provide answers about auto transport companies. Comments on the site vary, with some users pointing to the marketplace model as a source of frustration due to a lack of oversight over the carriers themselves.
“They’re just a large load board or broker that facilitates it between shippers and customers. It can be a decent way to get some offers, but they’re also taking a cut and raising your cost. You might be better served by going with an auto shipping company that you can deal with directly.” – u/Goudabooty
“I’ve done it. It cost me about $1,200 to ship it but when my truck got here it ended up being an extra $200. The drivers didn’t directly work for uShip so I couldn’t not pay them. Its like concert tickets; the price you see isn’t the price you pay.” – u/wojojojojo
However, just as with most of the other online sentiments about uShip, Reddit comments about the company were mostly positive. In many cases, commenters who claim to have used the service as drivers pushed back against these criticisms.
“uShip is no more scammy than eBay; you simply have to look at the drivers’ ratings. We can’t fake reviews, and if I steal things from people they will leave a bad one. I had to scan my ID in to make my account valid as well.” – u/BattleCatPrintShop
Is uShip Legit?
Yes, uShip is a reputable company that provides a car shipping marketplace. The company connects people with vehicle carriers that can fulfill their car shipping needs. Customers can create listings at uShip.com and carriers then bid on the jobs, making it easy to compare offers and find competitive shipping rates. The company provides options for local and long-distance moves through its online marketplace, where carriers bid on your shipping job through the auto transporter’s website.
Headquarters: Austin, Texas
Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating: A+
BBB customer rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
Service area: All 50 states, plus overseas shipping
Part of uShip’s success is due to the simplicity of transporting a vehicle using the platform. The company’s marketplace model allows you to ship just about anything you want and get a competitive price for the service. Because of this, many people appreciate being able to use the same service to move their household goods as well as their vehicles.
However, that marketplace model has a few drawbacks, too. It’s more complex than using a broker or a direct provider. You’ll also have to vet carriers yourself to ensure quality service. Other providers may offer a more straightforward and transparent process if this is your first time shipping a car.
uShip Pros and Cons
According to uShip reviews, shipping a car via the company’s marketplace has some unique advantages and disadvantages.
|uShip Pros||uShip Cons|
|Competitive pricing||Doesn’t vet drivers individually|
|Easy to compare offers from multiple auto movers||Prices often vary from the original quote and the company adds a service charge|
|Also offers household moving services||uShip app has mixed reviews|
uShip BBB Reviews
In addition to its accreditation from the BBB, uShip has an A+ rating and a 4.6- out of 5.0-star average rating on the website out of more than 375 customer reviews. It has closed over 45 BBB customer complaints in the past three years.
uShip Trustpilot Reviews
The company also holds a 4.4-star rating out of 5.0 from Trustpilot based on the uShip reviews of over 11,000 customers. Eighty-two percent of reviews rated uShip 5.0 stars overall.
Our research team found that in general, uShip has mostly positive reviews from customers. While we did find negative comments and complaints in online forums, review sites, and our survey, sentiment about the company seems positive overall.
uShip Reviews: Car Shipping Survey
Our research team surveyed 1,000 auto shipping customers in late 2021. Based on the results, uShip was the fifth most popular shipping provider, with around 8% of respondents saying they used the company. The following chart shows how the survey results broke down:
Around 59% of uShip customers in the survey said they were at least “somewhat satisfied” with the service. While this is still a majority of customers, it was the lowest percentage among major providers.
Only 40% of respondents who used uShip said they would suggest the company for someone else, meaning that most would not recommend uShip. However, the marketplace was one of the most popular options for international shipping.
Among problems reported by uShip customers in the study, these were the most common:
- Guaranteed pickup dates were not fulfilled (almost 50% more common than other issues on this list)
- Poor communication from the shipping company
- Poor communication from the carrier
The cost of auto transport services through uShip will vary based on many factors, but the typical price range for a shipment is from $500 to $2,000. The reason for such a large range is that shipping costs vary depending on your carrier, shipping distance, and several other variables.
uShip Price Estimates
We gathered uShip cost data to give you a good idea of the shipping prices you might find on the marketplace. Since the price for no two vehicle shipments is alike, your uShip quotes will vary.
|Vehicle Type||Pickup/Delivery Locations||Miles (Approx.)||Total Cost|
|2017 Cadillac Escalade||Atlanta to Miami||640||$355|
|2016 Nissan Altima||Mobile, Ala., to Houston||470||$400|
|2018 Mercedes-Benz E-Class||Youngstown, Ohio, to Nashville, Tenn.||550||$650|
|2017 Chevrolet Malibu||Dallas to Los Angeles||1,450||$710|
|2016 Hyundai Elantra||Colorado Springs, Colo., to Davenport, Iowa||900||$723|
|2018 BMW 5 Series||Orlando, Fla., to Memphis, Tenn.||840||$839|
|2018 Subaru Outback||Chicago to San Antonio||1,180||$1,006|
|2020 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque||Denver to Tampa, Fla.||1,870||$1,030|
|2017 Chevrolet Equinox||Miami to San Diego||2,630||$1,074|
|2016 Toyota Tacoma||San Jose, Calif., to Wichita, Kan.||1,640||$1,200|
|2017 Kia Forte||Los Angeles to Boston||3,000||$1,551|
uShip Service Fee
Since uShip is a marketplace and not a traditional broker or direct provider, the company charges a service fee for shippers and carriers in addition to your shipping rates.
You’ll pay a service fee directly to the company at the time of booking. The uShip fee varies by shipment but can range from $25 to $150 – up to 17% of your total shipping cost. Carriers usually have to pay around 13% of their earnings to uShip.
uShip: Ship With Confidence Guarantee
One aspect that stood out to our uShip review team was its Ship With Confidence Guarantee. This program helps people who may not have all the insurance coverage they thought they did or who have trouble filing an insurance claim.
According to the company’s website, uShip will reimburse up to $500 if you need help collecting on a damage claim from a carrier or when getting a refund.
Each carrier you find through uShip will have different ways of determining how much to charge you. The following factors are some of the most important when it comes to calculating rates:
- Shipping distance: The most significant factor in your car shipping cost is distance. Carriers charge by the mile, but that per-mile rate decreases as distance increases. So while a cross-country shipment from New York to California will cost more overall than a short-distance move, the per-mile rate will be less.
- Shipping time frame: If you can afford to be flexible, you’ll get the best rates on car shipping with uShip. If you need your car shipped in a hurry, expect to pay more.
- Vehicle type and size: Larger vehicles like SUVs and pricier models cost more to ship than smaller and less costly ones.
- Shipping method: Open container shipping is cheaper than enclosed container shipping, but it also exposes your car to road hazards and inclement weather during transit.
- Time of year: Shipping prices rise and fall with demand. Trying to ship your car in the summer when demand is high will cost the most, with prices starting to drop in the fall.
- Pickup and dropoff locations: If it’s an option, terminal-to-terminal shipping can be cheaper than door-to-door transport though much less convenient.
- Special considerations: You’ll pay more if your auto transporter needs to take special care of your vehicle. Classic cars and nonstandard vehicles like recreational vehicles (RVs) or boats usually cost more to ship than standard vehicles.
Because it’s a marketplace with access to a wide selection of movers, you’ll have many choices regarding how you want your car to be shipped. Here are some of the options commonly mentioned in uShip reviews:
- Door-to-door shipping: With door-to-door shipping, you can have your car picked up from and delivered to chosen points. This could be your home or somewhere else that’s convenient for you.
- Terminal-to-terminal shipping: You can save money by shipping your car between two centralized distribution points.
- Enclosed transport: uShip allows you to ship your car in an enclosed container. This better protects your vehicle during shipping, offering more peace of mind.
- Open transport: Shipping your car in an open container doesn’t offer the same protection as an enclosed trailer, but it comes at a significantly lower price point.
- Expedited shipping: If you need to transport your vehicle as soon as possible, you can pay a premium to have the service rushed.
- International shipping: With uShip, certain carriers can ship your car to other countries, either overland or via cargo ship.
uShip Alternative Shipping Options
As a marketplace, uShip offers shipping services for more than just standard cars and trucks. You can also ship the following items:
- Farm equipment
- Freight shipments for businesses
- Household items (furniture, appliances, etc.)
- All-terrain vehicles (ATVs)
- Jet skis
- Commercial vehicles
uShip Moving Services
Many car shipping customers also require household moving services, and uShip reviews indicate that the company is a popular option. The company can assist with moving anything from a studio to a five-bedroom house or larger. uShip can also arrange for office relocations, including breaking down and reassembling cubicles.
You always have the choice to buy cargo insurance through one of uShip’s third-party insurance companies, and this is a good idea if your carrier of choice is not insured. Once you meet a certain deductible, cargo insurance covers any direct physical loss or damage the car might receive during the shipping process.
How Much Is uShip Insurance?
The price of cargo insurance, which you’ll pay for at checkout after selecting your carrier from the uShip online marketplace, will vary depending on the amount you request when choosing a service provider.
How Does uShip Work?
Rather than calling for a quote or getting car shipping quotes online, you’ll list shipping requests on the uShip marketplace. This makes the process a little different than with other car moving companies.
Many positive uShip reviews mention how easy the shipping process is. There are just a few steps to finding a motor carrier with the company:
- Set up an account at uShip.com
- Enter information about your shipping preferences, including your vehicle type, pickup and delivery locations, and which types of service you need.
- Start by getting an instant quote from carriers. But wait to make a decision, as you can typically find cheaper rates through the marketplace.
- Post your request in the uShip marketplace. Wait for bids on your service.
- Compare car shipping quotes and make your selection.
How Do I Bid on uShip?
uShip bidding is an online platform that allows customers to post requests for their shipping service needs. Customers can list their items, origin and destination locations, and desired dates. Once a request is posted, registered transporters can bid on the job. The customer can then review the bids and either accept or reject them. After accepting, you must fill out the required fields, and then you’re good to go.
One important note is that as a marketplace, uShip doesn’t vet individual carriers. Instead, that responsibility falls on you. The low estimates you’ll get from some providers may sound enticing, but those companies may have a poor record when it comes to safety and dispute resolution.
After you’ve chosen a carrier, work out the remaining details with them directly to avoid any unnecessary hassles. Each carrier has its own processes and ways of communicating, so how you approach this final step is highly variable.
How To Vet a Carrier Yourself
Several of the uShip reviews we read mentioned issues with the carrier, so the vetting process is important if you want to ensure a smooth shipping service. The United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) offers a free tool that allows you to easily research auto transporters yourself.
To use the tool, simply enter the carrier’s USDOT number into the search field. Once you submit it, you’ll find crash information, safety ratings, and safety records.
You can also find customer reviews online for many carriers. But keep in mind, many people only leave reviews when they’ve had a frustrating or otherwise difficult customer experience. A handful of negative reviews is to be expected with any company, but beware of bad business practice patterns that you find in uShip reviews.
uShip tracking is a convenient and reliable way to keep track of all the items or the vehicle that you ship. From cars to large packages to small parcels, uShip tracking lets you easily monitor your shipments in real time. With uShip tracking, you can check the status of every shipment you book throughout each step of the journey.
On the uShip app, you can access a streamlined view of listings for quicker and easier use. Here, you can create a listing, pick a carrier, and track the status of your shipment.
The uShip app is available to both iPhone and Android users and has a 3.5- out of 5.0-star rating on Google Play and a 2.2- out of 5.0-star rating on the App Store. Users complain about a variety of issues with the mobile app. These include frequently getting logged out, being redirected to the uShip website, and being unable to send messages to carriers.
uShip Cancellation Policy
uShip’s website stresses that it’s OK to change your mind and cancel the service. If your car has yet to be picked up, the process is pretty simple, and you’ll handle everything through your online portal at the uShip website.
You’ll need to specify why you canceled the service with a detailed explanation, then submit your request. A uShip representative will assess your request. If necessary, they’ll contact the carrier and work toward a resolution.
If your request is approved, you’ll receive a full refund on your service.
How To Use uShip Household Moving Services
Finding a carrier for moving services through uShip isn’t too different from finding a car carrier. There are just a few steps:
- Provide information about your shipment: On the uShip homepage, select “household items” from the list of shipping options. On the next page, you’ll need to specify which types of items you want to move. You can add as many items as is necessary to make sure you get an accurate price.
- Give your shipping locations: After entering the items you want to move, input your pickup and dropoff locations.
- Create a listing: After you submit your information, uShip will present you with a range of cost estimates for your shipment, the likelihood that someone will accept your offer based on those prices, and the time it should take for someone to accept your offer based on those prices. You can use this information to name your price and create a listing for your shipment.
- Wait for offers: Once you’ve created a listing, wait for offers to come in. You may see some right away, but it’s best to wait until you have multiple offers so you can compare rates. Individual carriers may present you with more options with their offers, such as the level of service required.
- Book your move: After you find the best offer, sign your contract with the carrier. They’ll provide you with further instructions on how to pay and prepare for your shipment.
If you want to get the best price on uShip moving services, it’s important to be flexible with your pickup and dropoff dates. Carriers are usually looking to pick up extra cargo on their routes, so waiting a bit for something to line up could pay off.
Our Rating: 4.4 out of 5.0
A solid choice for car shipping.
uShip Review: Conclusion
In this article, we reviewed the uShip platform and provided in-depth information regarding its prices and service offerings. While uShip has its upsides, we recommend reaching out to auto shippers for free, no-obligation quotes so that you can make an informed decision about where to spend your money.
Consider our other top-rated providers if you’re not interested in using uShip for your car shipping needs. Below are two picks from our review of the best car shipping companies that could also satisfy your request:
Montway Auto Transport: Best Service
Rated highest among the shippers we reviewed, Montway Auto Transport receives 4.7 out of 5.0 stars from our panel of auto experts and earns the distinction for Best Service. The shipping broker serves all 50 states, ships internationally, and has a range of transport options that includes expedited shipping along with open and enclosed transport.
Montway Auto Transport stands out for its 24/7 customer support, instant quotes, numerous discounts, and network of more than 15,000 truck drivers. The company also has favorable reviews on Google, the BBB website, and Trustpilot, indicating a high degree of customer satisfaction.
For more information, read our Montway Auto Transport review.
Our Rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
AmeriFreight: Best Deals
While the initial quote you receive from AmeriFreight may not be as cheap as from other auto transport companies, the shipping provider makes up for it with its wide array of discounts that led us to name it as the shipping company with the Best Deals.
Among those eligible for a discount with the shipping broker are active-duty military members, students, senior citizens, medical personnel, first responders, and return customers. If you ship multiple vehicles at once, AmeriFreight also offers a $50 discount for every vehicle except the first one.
We give AmeriFreight a 4.5-star rating and recommend getting a car shipping quote from the company.
To learn more, check out our full-length AmeriFreight review.
Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
uShip Reviews: FAQ
Below are some frequently asked questions about uShip.
How does uShip work?
The online uShip marketplace connects you with hundreds of carriers that can ship a variety of items. Among these items are vehicles, furniture, heavy equipment, and even large livestock. You sign up on the website, list your item, and compare shipping options from carriers that bid on your listed shipment.
Does uShip charge a fee?
Along with the final bid price, you’ll have to pay a service fee to uShip. This service charge can range from $25 to $150 and must be paid when you book.
Is uShip a legit car shipping company?
While uShip is a legitimate car shipping company, it doesn’t vet carriers beyond making sure that they’re licensed. The potential for scams does exist, as with nearly any marketplace. We encourage you to check out a carrier’s profile and shipping history before accepting its bid.
Are there other companies like uShip?
Shiply, CitizenShipper, and Uber Freight are some fairly well-known alternatives that operate similarly to uShip’s marketplace platform. You can also choose the traditional shipping route and move your vehicle with an auto transport broker such as Montway Auto Transport, Easy Auto Ship, Sherpa Auto Transport, or AmeriFreight.
Should you tip uShip drivers?
You aren’t required to tip drivers who work with uShip, but if you’re satisfied with your car shipment and believe you’ve received excellent service, then a tip will be greatly appreciated – especially if uShip charges your driver a large service fee.
Are uShip shipments insured?
uShip does not verify whether an individual carrier has insurance, so not all uShip shipments are insured. However, the company does offer cargo insurance through third-party providers that you can purchase along with your shipment.
Does uShip cover damage?
If you buy separate cargo insurance from uShip, it covers 100% of damages to your vehicle. This insurance also covers a total loss.
How long does uShip take to deliver?
According to its website, shipments of under 1,000 miles take less than five days. Shipments of around 1,500 miles can take up to nine days.
Is uShip safe?
While scamming happens in the car shipping world, uShip is an extremely safe way to ship your car over any distance.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car shipping companies.
- Prices: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team performs ongoing secret shopper analyses for different vehicles, services, and shipping routes to give this rating.
- Services: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that an auto transport company offers an array of services. We take into account the availability of services, ability to guarantee pickup and dropoff dates, and insurance coverage options.
- Reputation: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, a company’s history of service, and years in business when giving this score.
- Customer Service: Reputable car shippers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We take into account customer reviews, BBB complaints, and the responsiveness of the customer service team.
*Data accurate at time of publication.