Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
Easy Auto Ship is one of the biggest names in the auto transport industry. The car shipping company is popular due to its competitive transport rates and relatively transparent pricing structure.
When preparing this Easy Auto Ship review, our research team took a look at the provider’s prices, shipping options, industry ratings, and customer reviews. We found that while the company is a good option for budget-minded customers, it comes with notable shortcomings.
You’ll figure out what we learned in the following article, along with other information to help you choose between Easy Auto Ship and other leading car shipping companies.
Easy Auto Ship Review
In our most recent car shipping study, Easy Auto Ship earned 4.4 out of 5.0 stars. This placed the company within our top 10 providers but not quite at the top of our list.
About Easy Auto Ship
Headquarters: Youngstown, Ohio
Better Business Bureau (BBB): A+
BBB customer rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
Availability: United States (including Alaska and Hawaii) and international destinations
Easy Auto Ship, also known as DIY Transport, is one of the country’s most popular auto transport brokers. The company offers a wide range of shipping options for standard passenger cars and for alternative vehicles like recreational vehicles (RVs), all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), and motorcycles.
Easy Auto Ship Pros and Cons
The following table lists out some distinct advantages and disadvantages of Easy Auto Ship:
|Easy Auto Ship Pros||Easy Auto Ship Cons|
|Offers shipping for nonstandard vehicles like RVs and motorcycles||No real-time GPS tracking option|
|Relatively strong customer reviews||Shipping dates are only guaranteed for an extra fee|
|Generally affordable rates||No mobile app|
Easy Auto Ship Transport Reviews
Our team analyzed customer reviews, online ratings, and the results of our car shipping survey to better understand the typical Easy Auto Ship review. We found that people who used the auto transport service have mostly favorable impressions of the company. In fact, its reputation among customers is one of Easy Auto Ship’s biggest strengths.
We broke down Easy Auto Ship reviews and ratings in the following sections to give a more detailed picture of customer sentiment.
Easy Auto Ship BBB Reviews
Easy Auto Ship is accredited by the BBB and holds an A+ rating. On the BBB website, the company has over 700 customer reviews with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5.0 stars.
The BBB has fielded more than 20 customer complaints about Easy Auto Ship over the past three years. However, the company responded to each comment on the site, indicating that it takes its customer service reputation seriously.
Easy Auto Ship Online Ratings
Customers also rate the company highly on other sites around the internet. Easy Auto Ship reviews from more than 3,300 customers on Google average 4.6 out of 5.0 stars. The provider has a lower rating of 3.4 out of 5.0 stars on Trustpilot out of only 10 reviews.
Easy Auto Ship Reviews on Reddit
Reddit is a popular place for people to look for real reviews about anything, auto shippers included. However, we were only able to find one actual Easy Auto Ship review on Reddit:
“We used Easy Auto Ship and they did a great job for our cross-country move” – u/Exhaustipated_pigeon
Easy Auto Ship Survey Results
In our most recent car shipping survey, our research team surveyed 1,000 auto transport customers. Easy Auto Ship was the third most popular car shipping provider in that survey, with just over 12% of respondents using the company.
Easy Auto Ship reviews in the survey were mostly favorable. Around 65% of respondents reported being at least somewhat satisfied with their services. The chart below goes into more detail about what people thought about their Easy Auto Ship experience:
Among those who used Easy Auto Ship, 57% said they would recommend the company for car shipping services. The company was also the most popular among those in the survey for international shipments.
Easy Auto Ship Survey: Common Issues
According to the survey, the following were the most common issues among Easy Auto Ship customers:
- Price increases after booking when the price was guaranteed
- Price increases after booking when the price was not guaranteed
- Vehicle was damaged upon delivery
- Poor communication from the carrier during transport
Positive Easy Auto Ship Reviews
A clear majority of the Easy Auto Ship reviews we found online were positive. Many of the favorable comments we read mentioned a smooth shipping experience and helpful customer support.
The following quotes represent the overall sentiment we observed in positive reviews for Easy Auto Ship:
“Great service. They kept me in the loop through the whole process. [Not] once did I have a worry.”
– Rosie via Trustpilot
“Easy Auto Ship made moving my car so easy and stress-free. The quote I was given was the amount I was charged, and the day assigned for pickup and dropoff proved true. Communication with this company was excellent, and I always felt taken care of and informed at all points of the move.”
– Jacquelyn L. via BBB
Easy Auto Ship Complaints
We also found some negative Easy Auto Ship reviews online. Many of these complaints centered around three things: lack of communication between customers and the company, damages not being covered under the insurance policy, and carriers arriving later than the scheduled dropoff date.
These excerpts are indicative of the negative Easy Auto Ship reviews we found online:
“They talk a good game when they are trying to get your business and even after you decide to use them. But when your vehicle finally shows up and it is damaged, they talk a whole different game. Beware of this company.”
– Paul M. via BBB
“Reached out twice after the car was picked up, and I never received a reply. Seems like all they care about is getting their initial fee and then letting you figure things out on your own. Will definitely be using a different service moving forward.”
– Taylor F. via BBB
Easy Auto Ship Costs
Our research team found that Easy Auto Ship usually has competitive rates for car shipping services. Our quotes found that shipping costs range from 40 cents per mile to $1 per mile. Here are some sample prices available on Easy Auto Ship’s website:
|Shipping Distance||Price per Mile||Distance||Car Shipping Cost|
|1–500 miles||$1||400 miles||$400|
|Over 500 miles||$0.75||900 miles||$675|
|Over 1,000 miles||$0.60||1,200 miles||$720|
|Over 2,000 miles||$0.50||2,400 miles||$1,200|
|Over 2,500 miles||$0.40||3,600 miles||$1,440|
Compared to many other auto transporters, Easy Auto Ship offers affordable price estimates. Be aware, however, that your actual quoted rates could vary from the numbers provided above. Also keep in mind that many Easy Auto Ship reviews mentioned price hikes during vehicle shipments, even with guaranteed pricing.
What Affects Easy Auto Ship Costs?
Each vehicle shipping company charges rates based on distance, but other factors also influence car shipping costs. The higher rates for certain types of vehicle shipping and overseas transport aren’t factored into the prices listed on the Easy Auto Ship website.
Factors that can influence shipping prices include:
- Time of year: Car shipping costs usually peak over the summer months and in January.
- Fuel costs: A higher price for fuel means you’ll be charged more for car transport.
- Distance: Even as costs per mile decrease, shipping farther generally means higher prices. Shipping your car internationally or to Alaska or Hawaii will come at an additional cost.
- Transport type: Enclosed shipping and door-to-door transport can both raise car shipping costs. Open carrier shipping and terminal-to-terminal transport are likely to be cheaper.
- Vehicle type: Larger vehicles like SUVs and pickup trucks are usually pricier to transport.
- Vehicle condition: Inoperable vehicles will cost more to move than ones in driving condition.
Easy Auto Ship Guaranteed Pricing
At Easy Auto Ship, transport quotes are guaranteed for up to 30 days. That’s a huge plus in an industry in which it’s common for prices to go up after the initial quote. The company also promises no hidden fees, meaning that what you see is what you get in terms of pricing.
Many customers leave Easy Auto Ship reviews saying that the company doesn’t always honor its guaranteed pricing, however. We can’t verify how often that occurs, but it’s worth keeping in mind if you have an inflexible shipping budget.
Easy Auto Ship Cancellation Policy
Easy Auto Ship makes it relatively easy to cancel a shipment. Customers can get a full refund if they cancel before the company has assigned a carrier to their shipping job. If it has assigned a driver, customers can still receive a refund minus the carrier fee.
How To Lower Easy Auto Ship Rates
Discounts aren’t very common in the auto transport industry, but Easy Auto Ship has a few. These include the following:
- Call for a quote discount: Easy Auto Ship offers free quotes online, but if you get one over the phone, you can reduce your shipping fee by as much as 15%.
- Military discount: Active members of the U.S. military and veterans can get a discount on their car shipment if they mention it during the quote process.
- Bulk shipping discounts: Car dealers and other businesses that need to move a fleet of vehicles at once may be able to get discounted rates.
- Cash discount: If you pay the driver in cash, you can get up to $150 off your total shipping price.
Easy Auto Ship Services
Easy Auto Ship reviews indicate satisfaction with the provider’s shipping services. Here’s an overview of the transport options you can receive from the carrier:
- Open transport: Shipping your vehicle in an open-air container is the cheaper option but it also exposes your vehicle to damages from weather and road debris.
- Enclosed transport: You can choose to ship your car inside of a closed container for extra protection at an additional cost.
- Expedited shipping: Easy Auto Ship can rush your car shipment for an added fee.
- Cross-country shipping: You can use Easy Auto Ship to move your car from one side of the U.S. to the other, such as from California to New York.
- Terminal-to-terminal shipping: When available, you can save money by shipping your car between two central locations.
- Door-to-door transport: Easy Auto Ship can transport a car from your old home or business to your new one, or at least very close to it. This is more expensive than terminal-to-terminal shipping but can be more convenient.
- International vehicle shipping: Easy Auto Ship is one of several companies that can ship your vehicle across international borders.
Easy Auto Ship Alternative Vehicle Shipping
Easy Auto Ship offers shipping options for more than just the family sedan. As a broker, the company uses its wide network of movers to provide options for shipping other types of vehicles.
Here are some of the vehicle types you can transport with Easy Auto Ship:
- All-terrain vehicles (ATVs)
- Recreational vehicles (RVs)
- Farm equipment
- Golf carts
- Heavy equipment
All transported vehicles are insured under a contingent motor truck cargo policy, which offers coverage of up to $100,000 to pay for damages incurred during shipping.
Easy Auto Ship Tracking
Easy Auto Ship reviews sometimes complain that the company doesn’t offer live GPS tracking. However, you can still get updates on your vehicle’s shipment by calling a representative. Easy Auto Ship agents can check on the progress of your shipment and provide you with real-time details and updated estimates of the arrival time.
Easy Auto Ship Benefits
One standout feature mentioned in Easy Auto Ship reviews is the company’s array of perks. The broker is one of very few in the shipping industry that offers rental car reimbursement. If your car shipment takes more than 14 days to arrive, Easy Auto Ship will cover the cost of a rental car until your vehicle arrives.
Additionally, Easy Auto Ship will reimburse you for the cost of a car wash if your vehicle shows up dirty following a shipment.
How To Ship a Car With Easy Auto Ship
Easy Auto Ship reviews consistently mention how easy it is to ship vehicles with the provider. Some of that is thanks to the company’s strong customer support, but it’s also due to a relatively straightforward process. There are just a few steps to shipping your car with Easy Auto Ship.
- Get a quote: You can start an online quote on Easy Auto Ship’s website by entering the city or ZIP code for your pickup location and destination. After giving information about your car and when you want to ship it, you’ll get a quote back to the email address you provided. Remember that you could get a discount if you receive instant quotes over the phone instead.
- Book your service: Once you’ve selected a pickup date and shipping options, book your service over the phone. Easy Auto Ship’s representatives will walk you through the entire process. You’ll need a credit card on hand to pay for the initial fee.
- Prepare your car for shipment: You’ll need to clean everything out of your car, remove all but a quarter tank of gas, and take off any aftermarket exterior parts. However, Easy Auto Ship typically allows customers to pack one suitcase of up to 100 pounds in the vehicle. Your carrier may have specific instructions for how these items should be packed.
- Meet your driver for pickup: You and the car hauler will inspect the vehicle together before the shipment and go over a few details about the final pickup date.
- Wait: The delivery time frame for your vehicle depends primarily on how far it’s traveling. Weather conditions, traffic, and your driver’s pickup and delivery schedule also affect how long it takes to get to you. Easy Auto Ship says it provides periodic updates throughout the shipping process, but you can also call to check the status of your vehicle.
- Pick up your vehicle: Easy Auto Ship will notify you before the vehicle arrives so you have time to prepare. You’ll need to pay the driver the remainder of the fee with cash, a cashier’s check, a money order, or other certified funds.
Easy Auto Ship Reviews: Conclusion
Our research team found that Easy Auto Ship is strong for auto transport services thanks to its bountiful options, useful benefits, and excellent customer service. The company earned 4.4 out of 5.0 stars in our latest car shipping study and the award for Best Customer Service.
Easy Auto Ship lacks a few features that people may want, such as live GPS tracking. However, generally reasonable prices and the strengths listed above make it an option worth considering for anyone looking to ship a car.
Easy Auto Ship: Recommended Alternatives
While Easy Auto Ship is among the industry’s best providers, another company may offer better prices. Our research team recommends getting car shipping quotes from multiple transporters as a way to find the best rates. Montway Auto Transport and Sherpa Auto Transport both finished near the top of our most recent car shipping study and are superb shipping options.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Service
Montway Auto Transport is our top pick overall for auto transport. The vehicle shipping company offers many of the same services as Easy Auto Ship but carries over 15 years of experience in the auto shipping industry. Montway Auto Transport wins our Best Service award based on its availability and prices.
Like Easy Auto Ship, Montway Auto Transport is accredited by the BBB and holds an A+ rating. Customers give the provider 4.6 stars out of 5.0 from more than 2,300 BBB reviews which highlight the shipping provider’s on-time deliveries, affordable rates, and speedy communication.
Read our in-depth Montway Auto Transport review for more information.
On Our Partner’s Website(844) 601-0286
Or Call Our Partner Directly
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best for Locked-In Pricing
Those who prioritize knowing the price for auto shipping upfront might want to consider Sherpa Auto Transport. The company’s Price Lock Promise ensures that the amount you’re quoted is the amount you’ll pay, and the automobile transporter includes a free car wash once your vehicle has been delivered.
Like the other car shipping companies we’ve mentioned, Sherpa Auto Transport earns an A+ from the BBB in addition to being accredited. We give Sherpa a 4.6- out of 5.0-star rating.
Learn more about the company in our Sherpa Auto Transport review.
On Our Partner’s Website(888) 916-6358
Or Call Our Partner Directly
Easy Auto Ship Reviews: FAQ
Below are some frequently asked questions related to Easy Auto Ship reviews:
Is Easy Auto Ship a good company?
Easy Auto Ship is a BBB-accredited company and many Easy Auto Ship reviews mention positive customer experiences. Easy Auto Ship often quotes car shipping prices that are comparable to or cheaper than its competitors’ rates.
Is Easy Auto Ship a broker?
Similar to most auto shipping companies, Easy Auto Ship brokers services from carriers across the U.S. Each of its carriers has insurance coverage for any damage that occurs during transport.
What is the best auto transport company to use?
Our research team shows that companies like Montway Auto Transport, Sherpa Auto Transport, and SGT Auto Transport can be good options for vehicle transport. We recommend comparing costs from multiple carriers and reading customer reviews to find the best company for your shipping needs.
What is the most reliable auto transport company?
The customer reviews and industry ratings of the top five providers in our study are all high. This means that Montway Auto Transport, Sherpa Auto Transport, SGT Auto Transport, American Auto Shipping, and AmeriFreight are all reliable auto transport companies.
What is the average cost to ship a golf cart?
According to our team’s research, it costs between $100 to $200 to ship a golf cart locally. It costs around $300 to $600 to ship golf carts over a long distance.
How do I know if an auto transport company is legitimate?
To see if an auto transport company is legit, make sure that the carrier is properly registered and has a valid USDOT number. You can also check to see how the BBB and other organizations rate the company. Beyond that, reading reviews from customers on sites like the BBB and Trustpilot can give you an idea of what other customers have experienced.
Is eShip legit?
The company eShip is a legitimate auto transport provider. It has an A rating from the BBB and is accredited by the group.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car shipping companies.
- Prices: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team performs ongoing secret shopper analyses for different vehicles, services, and shipping routes to give this rating.
- Services: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that an auto transport company offers an array of services. We take into account the availability of services, ability to guarantee pickup and dropoff dates, and insurance coverage options.
- Reputation: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, a company’s history of service, and years in business when giving this score.
- Customer Service: Reputable car shippers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We take into account customer reviews, BBB complaints, and the responsiveness of the customer service team.
*Data accurate at time of publication.