Our AmeriFreight review gave the auto shipper 4.5 out of 5.0 stars. Discover the discounts and highlights that set AmeriFreight apart from other auto transport companies.
Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
AmeriFreight is one of the most well-established and highly regarded auto transport companies in the shipping industry. The provider offers a wide range of shipping options at affordable rates and AmeriFreight reviews applaud the company’s customer service. These reasons and more are why the company earned a place in our ranking of the best car shipping companies in the U.S.
Our researchers took a close look at the company’s shipping options, car transport rates, and customer reviews. You’ll find what we learned in the following article, along with information about how to ship a car with AmeriFreight and ways to get the best prices when doing so.
Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
Ultimately, we gave AmeriFreight 4.5 out of 5.0 stars and awarded it as the provider with the Best Deals. AmeriFreight’s costs are relatively affordable, and the company offers many car shipping services.
Headquarters: Peachtree City, Ga.
Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating: A+
BBB customer score: 4.9 out of 5.0 stars
Service area: United States, including Alaska and Hawaii
AmeriFreight is a car shipping broker based outside of Atlanta. The provider distinguishes itself from many other car shipping companies with its wide array of discounts, add-on shipping insurance, and positive AmeriFreight reviews.
The provider needs to catch up with the times in regard to its quotes process, however. While the company offers a rate calculator at AmeriFreight.net, you still have to reach out to customer service for actual cost estimates. Also, negative auto transport reviews from AmeriFreight users note how car shipping rates differ from the initial quote to the final price.
Is AmeriFreight Legit?
Our AmeriFreight review found that it’s a legitimate car shipping company with nearly two decades of industry experience. The company is now one of the leading auto shippers in the nation.
AmeriFreight only works with licensed carriers to provide vehicle shipping services nationwide. It routinely screens providers to make sure that they have the proper insurance credentials in case of any errors made during transport.
Within the car shipping industry, AmeriFreight stands out for providing a wide range of discounts, which is why we gave it the award for Best Deals in our review of leading car shipping companies. AmeriFreight reviews praise its discounts for active-duty military members, first responders, senior citizens, students, and returning customers.
AmeriFreight Pros and Cons
There are a lot of upsides to AmeriFreight as a provider, but the company also has several notable drawbacks.
|AmeriFreight Pros||AmeriFreight Cons|
|Many discount opportunities||No international shipping option|
|Highly rated customer service||No price lock options|
|Thorough car carrier vetting process||Lacks GPS tracking services|
AmeriFreight BBB Reviews
AmeriFreight boasts many positive customer reviews. The BBB accredits the auto transporter and, as mentioned, AmeriFreight carries an A+ rating. With over 800 reviews, AmeriFreight averages a 4.9-star BBB rating out of 5.0 from customers. Over 93% of reviewers rated AmeriFreight 5.0 stars overall on the site.
AmeriFreight Google Reviews
AmeriFreight reviews are similar on Google, with a 4.7-star rating backed by over 3,300 reviews. Positive customer reviews across both platforms praise the overall shipping experience and excellent customer service representatives. Negative reviews, on the other hand, tend to mention issues with paying a much higher price than initially quoted.
AmeriFreight Reviews on Reddit
Discussion website Reddit has become a popular place for people to seek advice about car shipping companies. AmeriFreight reviews on Reddit tended to be more mixed than on other websites. Many commenters spoke of having an easy time with their car shipment, but our researchers also found mentions of actual prices being significantly higher than quotes.
It’s worth noting that more than a few comments came from people involved in the car shipping business, often as competitors.
“AmeriFreight is the broker I used twice for cross-country car shipping. I interviewed other brokers and just did not get a great feel for them. AmeriFreight was the best and most organized, easy to work with, and professional.” – u/Individual-Apple-720
“I used them and didn’t have an issue. They are not a carrier, they are a broker. When you agree to use them, they will bid your route out to whoever wants it.” – u/wisey113
AmeriFreight Customer Reviews
Our research team studied reviews from actual car shipping customers to get an idea for the firsthand experience of shipping a car with AmeriFreight. In addition to scouring hundreds of online reviews, we also conducted a car shipping survey to learn more about the AmeriFreight customer experience.
AmeriFreight Car Shipping Customer Survey
In our most recent survey, the AmeriFreight review team asked 1,000 car shipping customers about their experiences. Overall, AmeriFreight was our survey’s third most popular car shipping company, accounting for a little more than 10% of respondents.
Overall, people tended to have a positive impression of AmeriFreight, with nearly 67% saying they were at least somewhat satisfied with their service. This chart shows how those results break down:
In addition, 51% of AmeriFreight customers said they would recommend the company to someone else for moving services. The most popular type of vehicle shipped through AmeriFreight was SUVs.
These were the most common issues cited by AmeriFreight customers in the survey:
- Carrier insurance wouldn’t cover damages
- Shipment extended a week or more beyond the original delivery date
- Guaranteed prices increased after the booking
Positive AmeriFreight Reviews
Customers who reported a fulfilling experience in their AmeriFreight reviews tended to mention a smooth process and good communication. Fourteen percent of reviews specifically mentioned the company’s strong customer service.
“Reliable company. I’ve used them twice to move vehicles across the country. Both times they have effortlessly made it happen. I highly recommend them.”
– Laura Iacofano via Google
“Good communication. Pickup and delivery went as planned without any problems. Driver was professional and very polite.”
– Michael S. via BBB
Customers who needed a better experience often mentioned pricing and service issues with individual car movers. However, it should be noted that only 5% of reviews give the company a 1.0-star rating.
“[I] got a quote to move a vehicle from Georgia to Indiana. [I] had several quotes all in the same price range, so I researched and found AmeriFreight to have good ratings, so I chose them. They came back with shippers 30 to 40% higher than they quoted and told me [to] take it [because] it was a good deal.”
– Troy M. via BBB
“My four-day car window turned into 11 days. AmeriFreight had no idea where my car was. [The] carrier had issues transporting [my vehicle] and would not respond without threats. I have shipped my car over nine times – worst experience I have ever had.”
– Elizabeth R. via Google
Our Ratingg: 4.5 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
Like other auto shipping companies, AmeriFreight costs will vary depending on your specific situation. However, AmeriFreight reviews show that the company typically charges between $850 and $1,400 to ship a sedan by open transport. According to the company, enclosed transport can cost upward of 80% more than open carrier shipping.
To give you an idea of what AmeriFreight quotes can look like, we compiled prices for a 2020 Toyota Corolla and a 2018 Honda CR-V in the table below.
|Vehicle||Mileage (Approx.)||Shipping Method||Cost Estimate|
|Honda CR-V||520 miles||Economy||$550|
|Honda CR-V||520 miles||Priority||$650|
|Honda CR-V||520 miles||First Class||$800|
|Toyota Corolla||1,280 miles||Economy||$1,055|
|Toyota Corolla||1,280 miles||Priority||$1,200|
|Toyota Corolla||1,280 miles||First Class||$1,475|
You can find a general estimate of what you could pay for the car shipping process by using AmeriFreight’s rate calculator. You can also call the company directly to get a free quote on shipping. Remember that it’s common in the auto shipping industry for final costs to differ from the quoted price you receive.
What Affects Car Shipping Prices?
Car shipping quotes are highly variable and can be influenced by each carrier. Here’s an overview of the factors that affect the cost of auto transport:
- Price of fuel: You’ll end up paying more for auto transport services if fuel prices go up.
- Vehicle size: The larger your vehicle, the more you’ll typically pay for transport.
- Time of year: Expect to pay higher prices for vehicle shipping in the summer and in January.
- Delivery location: You will save money if your vehicle is shipped between terminals rather than to your front door.
- Transport service: Enclosed shipping is more expensive than open shipping. However, the peace of mind can be worth the additional cost when shipping luxury, exotic, or classic cars.
- Vehicle operability: Inoperable vehicles are more expensive to ship than operable vehicles because of the effort and resources required to move them.
- Miles traveled: You’ll pay more for long-distance shipments such as from Los Angeles to New York City than you would for shorter shipments like from Orlando, Florida, to Atlanta. However, per-mile rates go down as shipping distances increase, meaning that you’ll pay less per mile for long-distance shipments than for short-distance moves.
AmeriFreight reviews mention car transport services to and from the contiguous U.S., Alaska, and Hawaii. The car shipper works with carriers around the nation to transport sedans, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), and recreational vehicles (RVs).
Here’s an overview of the shipping services offered by AmeriFreight:
- Door-to-door delivery: A shipping method where the vehicle pickup and dropoff locations are as close to your home as possible
- Expedited shipping: Comes with an extra free but ideal for drivers with time constraints since vehicles can usually ship within a few days
- Open trailer transport: The most common shipping service offered by transport brokers, where your vehicle is exposed to the elements but cheaper to ship
- Enclosed trailer transport: A pricier shipping service where your vehicle is transported in an enclosed trailer or a shipping container to prevent damages
- Alternative vehicle transport: AmeriFreight offers shipping options for vehicles like ATVs, motorcycles, and RVs
AmeriFreight Shipping Service Tiers
AmeriFreight costs also depend on the level of auto transport service you choose: Economy, Priority, or First Class.
- Economy shipping: Starts at the lowest bid and has the widest pickup window.
- Priority: Starts bidding at the standard market rate to find more carriers willing to take the shipping job.
- First Class: Starts at a higher rate, but uses a one-to-two-day pickup window.
Many people write positive AmeriFreight reviews because of the company’s various discount opportunities. Discounts include:
- Student: $25 off
- Early bird: $35 off
- Senior citizens: $25 off
- First responders: $35 off
- Medical personnel: $35 off
- Active-duty military: $35 off
- Return customers: $50 off
- Multiple vehicles: $50 off (every additional vehicle)
Aside from the early bird discount, you can only apply one deal to each order.
AmeriFreight Price-Matching Policy
In addition to its discounts, AmeriFreight offers a limited price-matching policy. The company says it will match a price quote from any other car shipping company with above-average customer reviews and an A+ rating from the BBB.
AmeriFreight Insurance & AFta Gap Coverage
Every AmeriFreight shipment comes with basic carrier insurance. However, AmeriFreight also offers its gap protection policy, Allied Fidelity Total Assurance (AFta), at an additional cost.
Here’s what you’ll get if you opt for AFta gap coverage, which works in addition to your carrier’s insurance:
- Up to $2,000 of your private car insurance deductible
- Up to $800 for minor damages
- Up to $350 for lost, stolen, or damaged keys
- Rental car reimbursement in case of delivery delays
How To Ship a Car With AmeriFreight
Based on what we saw when researching AmeriFreight reviews, the company has a simple shipping process. There are just a few steps to ship your vehicle with the broker:
- Get a quote: AmeriFreight doesn’t have a shipping cost calculator. Instead, you’ll need to provide some basic information about your shipment as well as your email address and phone number. Soon, an AmeriFreight representative will call or email you to offer a quote.
- Decide on service: After giving you a quote, your representative will assign a carrier. That company or individual will contact you to quote a final rate. You can either accept or reject it.
- Wait: Once you book a carrier, it’s time to let AmeriFreight take care of the details. The broker will coordinate everything with your carrier.
- Meet for pickup: You’ll meet with your carrier at the pickup location. Once there, perform a quick inspection of your vehicle and note any existing damages. Then, sign a bill of lading that documents these issues.
- Meet for dropoff: On the other side of the shipment, meet your carrier at your destination. There, you’ll do another inspection of the car to see if it was damaged during shipment. Afterward, you’ll sign the bill of lading again to recognize that the shipment is complete.
- Pay the bill: After you’ve signed off on the shipment, all that’s left is to pay your car carrier. Some only accept cash, so be sure to check before meeting with them.
It’s a good idea to book your auto shipment at least two weeks before you need to move. This gives you enough time to find the lowest rates and avoid the need to expedite your shipment.
AmeriFreight tracking is a convenient online tool that allows customers to easily monitor their shipment’s status. Customers can track shipments from when the trucker picks them up until they’ve been delivered.
Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
AmeriFreight Car Shipping: Conclusion
Our research team found that AmeriFreight lives up to its stellar industry reputation. The auto shipping broker offers a useful selection of transport services through its network of carefully vetted carriers, all at affordable rates. We also appreciate its discount selection and in-house shipping insurance options.
It’s good to note, however, that many AmeriFreight reviews mention a higher final price than was initially quoted. While costs often still fell below those of other providers, understand that you’re likely to pay at least a little more than the first price you see.
AmeriFreight Alternatives: Our Top Picks
Even though AmeriFreight is a highly reputable company, our team recommends reaching out to multiple providers to find the best services and car shipping quotes. Two other car transport companies worth considering are Montway Auto Transport and Sherpa Auto Transport, which we feature in our review of the best car shipping companies.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Overall
Montway Auto Transport is one of the most popular and well-respected auto transport companies in the industry. The company offers various shipping services nationwide and has a positive reputation. Our team gave Montway the Best Service award and a rating of 4.7 out of 5.0 stars based on reputation, prices, services, and customer service.
Like AmeriFreight, Montway Auto Transport is accredited by the BBB and holds an A+ rating. With over 2,300 customer reviews on the BBB website, the company has a 4.6-star rating out of 5.0.
Learn more in our full Montway Auto Transport review.
Our Rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best for Locked-In Pricing
Unlike most auto transport companies, Sherpa Auto Transport offers locked-in pricing through its Price Lock Promise. This means that the price you’re quoted by the company is the final price you’ll pay. If you end up being charged more, the company will cover costs up to $300. Sherpa Auto Transport also offers customers a Clean Car Guarantee, which grants you a reimbursement of up to $20 for a car wash after your vehicle is delivered.
Sherpa Auto Transport earned a 4.6-star rating out of 5.0 from our team based on reputation, prices, services, and customer service. The company is also accredited by the BBB and holds an A+ rating.
Find out more about the provider in our complete Sherpa Auto Transport review.
Best for Locked-In Pricing
Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
Stress-free auto shipping and transparent pricing.
AmeriFreight Reviews: FAQ
Below are some frequently asked questions relating to AmeriFreight reviews:
Is AmeriFreight reputable?
Yes, AmeriFreight is a reputable auto transport company that offers various services to drivers. The company stands out from competitors due to its discounts and positive customer reputation.
What are the best auto transport companies?
We named Montway Auto Transport, Sherpa Auto Transport, SGT Auto Transport, American Auto Shipping, and AmeriFreight as the best auto transport companies in the U.S. based on reputation, rates, services, and customer experience.
Does AmeriFreight offer door-to-door shipping?
Yes, AmeriFreight offers door-to-door shipping services for a slightly higher cost.
How do I know if a car transport company is reliable?
You can check an auto transport company’s reliability through the Department of Transport’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). A legitimate car transport broker or carrier will always have a six-digit motor carrier docket number and a seven-digit USDOT number. You can also check customer reviews online through the BBB, Trustpilot, and Google.
Does AmeriFreight include insurance?
AmeriFreight requires individual car haulers to carry insurance. However, you can also purchase gap insurance coverage from the company with one of its AFta plans to further protect the value of your vehicle.
How does AmeriFreight work?
AmeriFreight works by serving as a car shipping broker. You tell the company your shipping needs and the provider works through its network of vetted car carriers to find options tailored to your requirements.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car shipping companies.
- Prices: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team performs ongoing secret shopper analyses for different vehicles, services, and shipping routes to give this rating.
- Services: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that an auto transport company offers an array of services. We take into account the availability of services, ability to guarantee pickup and dropoff dates, and insurance coverage options.
- Reputation: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, a company’s history of service, and years in business when giving this score.
- Customer Service: Reputable car shippers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We take into account customer reviews, BBB complaints, and the responsiveness of the customer service team.
*Data accurate at time of publication.