Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
- Allstate can be a good option if you are looking for flexible coverage options and discount programs, though it is more expensive than most national providers.
- Progressive provides an array of offerings for drivers, including usage-based programs and rideshare insurance.
- Read our comparison between these two reputable insurers to make the best choice for your auto insurance needs.
Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products in this article.
Allstate and Progressive are two of the largest car insurance providers in the nation, so if you’re looking for a new car insurance policy, it makes sense that you would feel torn between the two. In this article, we’ll compare Progressive vs. Allstate in terms of coverage, cost, and customer reviews to help you decide which is best for you.
We consider both providers to be among the best car insurance companies, but when it comes down to it, you likely only need one to insure your vehicle. When you’re ready to start comparing personalized auto insurance quotes, enter your zip code into the tool above.
Progressive vs. Allstate Highlights
Below, we’ve outlined a few highlights of each car insurance company and its policies. Here’s an overview of Progressive vs. Allstate:
|Availability||50 states||50 states|
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||A+||A+|
|J.D. Power Claims Servicing||861/1,000||889/1,000|
|Mobile App Google Play Rating||4.1||3.6|
Comparing Progressive vs. Allstate, we found that Progressive comes out on top in terms of the overall rating. But there’s a lot more to it than just the highlight reel. We’ll take a closer look at each of these areas below to help you make your decision.
As key players in the insurance industry, Progressive and Allstate offer multiple insurance products to customers, like homeowners and renters insurance as well as business and health policies.
Progressive vs. Allstate: Coverage
In addition to the standard types of auto insurance, you can get extra coverages like roadside assistance and rideshare insurance with either insurer. Beyond that, there are a few differences between Progressive vs. Allstate coverage, like Allstate’s sound system insurance and Progressive’s custom parts and equipment value.
|Bodily Injury Liability (BI)||Yes||Yes|
|Property Damage Liability (PD)||Yes||Yes|
|Personal Injury Protection (PIP)||Yes||Yes|
|Medical Payments (MedPay)||Yes||Yes|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)||Yes||Yes|
|Rental Car Reimbursement||Yes||Yes|
|Sound System Insurance||Yes|
|Mexico Tourist Car Insurance||Yes|
|Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) Insurance||Yes|
|Custom Parts and Equipment Value (CPE)||Yes|
|Deductible Savings Bank||Yes|
Progressive’s small accident forgiveness starts as soon as you become a Progressive customer and covers claims less than $500. Large accident forgiveness is available to customers who have been with the insurer for at least five years with no accidents in the last three.
Allstate, on the other hand, has the Choice Auto Policy Plan for accident forgiveness. It comes with a discount of five percent for every six months a driver goes accident-free.
Here’s what else stands out to us about Progressive:
- GAP insurance: This type of auto insurance coverage is also called loan/lease payoff. It pays the difference between what you owe on your vehicle and what it’s worth in the event of a total loss.
- Custom parts and equipment value: CPE will repair or replace vehicle add-ons like stereos, navigation systems, custom wheels, and paint jobs in the event that they are damaged or stolen.
- Deductible savings bank: This feature subtracts $50 from your collision and comprehensive deductible for every six months that you go claim-free.
Comparing Progressive vs. Allstate, these are a few policy options we like from Allstate:
- Sound system insurance: If the audio or video equipment in your car is stolen or damaged, Allstate has the cost of a replacement covered.
- Mexico car insurance: Drivers planning road trips to Mexico need the proper car insurance to drive in the country. With this coverage from Allstate, your stay in Mexico can be up to one year long with your car fully covered.
We considered the pros and cons of each auto insurer, and although it is a close competition, we think Progressive wins out when it comes to coverage.
Having Mexico car insurance from Allstate is great if you travel to Mexico often. But the coverage doesn’t have the same everyday appeal as GAP insurance or a deductible savings bank. Plus, even though we see a lot of value in Allstate’s sound system insurance, Progressive’s CPE covers more custom parts.
Progressive vs. Allstate: Cost
In general, we found Progressive to have more affordable car insurance rates than Allstate. Our research shows that good drivers pay an average of $1,611 per year for a full coverage policy compared with Allstate which averages $2,088 per year.
How much auto insurance costs depends on a few factors, like your age, driving record, location, and the insurance company you choose to underwrite your policy.
Progressive vs. Allstate Car Insurance Discounts
Both Progressive and Allstate offer a number of car insurance discounts that can help you save on your policy.
|Pay in Full||Yes||Yes|
|Student Away At School||Yes|
Standout Discounts From Allstate
- Safe Driving Club: For every six months that you go accident-free, you receive a safe driving bonus. Plus, you’ll get $100 off of your collision deductible the day that you sign up and an additional $100 off each year you go accident-free (up to $500 total).
- Drivewise® app: Download Allstate’s Drivewise app to get personalized feedback on your driving. Your safe driving habits could qualify you for lower auto insurance rates.
Standout Discounts From Progressive
- Continuous insurance: You can get a discount if you’ve been consistently insured with no gaps or cancellations.
- Snapshot® app: Snapshot monitors safe driving habits and adjusts car insurance rates accordingly. Fortunately, the data acquired by this app can never work against you to increase your rates. The Snapshot program can be accessed through a plug-in device or via the Progressive mobile app.
Progressive vs. Allstate: Quotes Processes
You can get Progressive and Allstate car insurance quotes online and by phone. If you’re shopping directly on Progressive’s website, Progressive offers the Name Your Price® tool. You can input the price you want to pay for car insurance first, and the tool will match you with a plan that fits your budget.
In addition, customers are similarly satisfied with both providers in terms of the quotes and claims process. In the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study, Progressive earned 859 points out of a possible 1,000, whereas Allstate earned 854 points.
Progressive vs. Allstate: Ratings And Customer Reviews
Similar to J.D. Power ratings, industry experts rate Progressive and Allstate neck in neck across the board. Both auto insurance companies hold A+ ratings from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and from AM Best, which grades financial strength and the ability to fulfill claims.To give you a little more information to work with, we took a look at Progressive vs. Allstate by region. Here are the results from the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM (based on a 1,000-point scale):
Allstate Customer Reviews
Positive reviews about Allstate car insurance reference satisfaction with bundled home and auto policies, helpful customer service representatives, and satisfactory claims outcomes. Negative reviews discuss slow inspections during the claims process, with some customers waiting weeks or months for an adjuster.
“We have always had a good experience with Allstate. Only had to file one claim in the past 10 years or so, but it was fixed and paid for. Staff have been friendly and no complaints!”
– Marissag via BBB
“Absolutely the worst insurance company I’ve ever dealt with. They’ve been unorganized since day one and haven’t given me an answer in 43 days. I’ve reached out to every number I could find dozens of times and get the voicemail box of every agent.”
– Jacob M. via BBB
Progressive Customer Reviews
Comparing Progressive vs. Allstate, Progressive similarly has a mix of positive and negative comments. Positive reviewers highlight helpful, professional staff and speedy claims processing. Negative reviewers report issues with canceling policies and increased rates due to hidden fees.
“Progressive has been an excellent company to work with for auto insurance. I highly recommend them for their professional, helpful staff and great rates. They work with me, too.”
– A.K. via BBB
“Don’t go to them for car insurance. They will charge you hidden fees for canceling your policy.”
-Tony P. via BBB
A few customer reviews also mentioned Progressive and Allstate’s claims processes. When you compare Progressive vs. Allstate claims, Allstate takes the lead. In the J.D. Power 2022 Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM, Progressive earned 889 out of a possible 1,000 points compared to Allstate’s 861. This tells us that Allstate provides a better claims experience than Progressive.
Customers can file a claim online, over the phone, or via the mobile app with either auto insurance company.
Final Decision: Progressive or Allstate?
Below, we went through each key category and named a winner between Progressive and Allstate to give you a better idea of each insurer’s strengths.
|Cost And Discounts||Progressive|
|Quotes And Claims||Tie|
|Ratings And Customer Reviews||Allstate|
It’s a close competition between Progressive vs. Allstate, but in the end, we think most drivers will find slightly better coverage with Progressive. This will depend entirely on your personal details and driving history though, so we recommend getting a car insurance quote from each provider to compare your own coverage and premium. To learn more, read our full Progressive insurance review vs. Allstate insurance review. Or, get a free quote from both companies right away by entering your zip code below.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
What Is The Best Insurance Company?
When we reviewed the best car insurance companies in the nation, Progressive and Allstate were near the top of our list. But it was Geico and USAA that we found to be the best overall. USAA was the only car insurance company to earn five stars in our review, but due to its exclusivity, we named Geico the best provider for most drivers.
While you’re comparing Progressive vs Allstate, consider getting a quote from these top providers, too, using our free tool above.
USAA: Best for Military Members
USAA has high marks across the board for coverage, cost, and customer reviews. Along with standard coverage like liability auto insurance and collision insurance, you can get roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and accident forgiveness with USAA. Plus, the car insurance company offers competitive discounts, like up to 20 percent off if you park your car on a military base. Learn more about coverage in our comprehensive USAA auto insurance review.
USAA is only available to active military members, veterans, and their immediate family members. If you don’t fall into one of those categories, you should consider Geico.
Geico: Best Discount Selection
In our Geico car insurance review, we were impressed by the insurer’s low rates and exceptional customer service. Geico offers roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and mechanical breakdown insurance along with standard coverage, and you can get discounts for things like being a good student or a safe driver.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car insurance providers.
- Affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team considers auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services and discount opportunities when giving this score.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that a car insurance company offers an array of coverage options. We take into account types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Industry Standing: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, financial strength, and years in business when giving this score.
- Availability: Auto insurers with greater state availability and few eligibility requirements are more likely to meet consumer needs.
- Customer Service: Reputable car insurance providers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We consider complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), J.D. Power claims servicing scores, and customer feedback.
- Online Experience: Insurers with easy-to-use websites and highly rated mobile apps scored best in this category.