Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
- Pennsylvania car insurance averages to about $37 per month for minimum-coverage policies and $146 per month for full coverage.
- Travelers offers the lowest average prices in Pennsylvania for both minimum and full coverage.
- High-risk drivers with at-fault accidents, DUIs, and speeding tickets on their driving records often pay more for Pennsylvania car insurance.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
For the cheapest car insurance in Pennsylvania, Travelers, which offers an average rate estimate of $19 per month, is a great option for minimum coverage. Erie usually has the second-cheapest coverage for Pennsylvania drivers.
To compile our rankings of the best car insurance providers in Pennsylvania, our team considered cost data, coverage choices, customer reviews, and industry reputations. We’ll break down each provider’s average costs so you can find high-quality and affordable insurance in the Keystone State.
Best Car Insurance Rates in Pennsylvania
Travelers, Erie, and State Farm tend to offer the cheapest auto insurance rates in Pennsylvania. That said, it’s important to get quotes from various providers to determine which company has the lowest prices for your specific insurance needs.
- Our researchers used cost data from Quadrant Information Services to find insurance premium estimates for different coverage types, driver profiles, and cities in Pennsylvania. We used this data to determine the cheapest coverage options from quality car insurance providers, and you’ll find details in tables throughout the article.
- To determine an overall rating for each top insurance company, our team considers not only affordability but also industry standing, availability, and coverage options. We then factor in the customer experience and online reviews to establish a numerical rating out of the highest possible score of 5.0.
- Unless stated otherwise, estimates reflect the profile of a 35-year-old driver with a clean driving record and good credit history.
- You’ll find detailed cost estimates in the sections below, but we’ve listed out the cheapest car insurance companies in Pennsylvania for a few driver profiles right here:
- Cheapest full coverage: Travelers followed by Nationwide
- Cheapest minimum coverage: Travelers followed by Erie
- Cheapest for teen drivers: Travelers followed by GEICO
- Cheapest for drivers with a traffic violation: Travelers followed by State Farm
Cheapest Car Insurance Companies in Pennsylvania
We’ve compiled the providers that offer Pennsylvania’s strongest mix of affordable coverage and high-quality plans. While Travelers does offer the cheapest rates overall, State Farm is the highest-rated among providers we’ve reviewed in the state.
|Car Insurance Provider||Overall Rating||Average Monthly Rate: Minimum Coverage||Average Monthly Rate: Full Coverage||Number of Discounts|
Cheapest Car Insurance Coverage in Pennsylvania
Minimum-liability coverage will almost certainly be your cheapest car insurance in Pennsylvania. While this will meet your state’s car insurance requirements, don’t expect it to protect your vehicle or cover personal bodily injuries.
A full-coverage auto insurance plan will cover your car and medical bills instead of only those for other drivers. This will cost more than minimum coverage but could save you money if you are in an at-fault accident.
Cheapest Minimum-Liability Car Insurance in Pennsylvania
The average rate estimate for a minimum-coverage policy in Pennsylvania is $37 per month or $439 per year. Travelers tends to offer the cheapest minimum-liability policies with estimates of $19 per month or $232 per year.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate for Minimum Coverage||Average Yearly Rate for Minimum Coverage|
Cheapest Full-Coverage Car Insurance in Pennsylvania
In Pennsylvania, the average rate for full-coverage auto insurance is $146 per month or $1,753 per year. Overall, Travelers offers the cheapest average estimates for full-coverage insurance at $72 per month or $867 per year.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate for Full Coverage||Average Yearly Rate for Full Coverage|
Pennsylvania Car Insurance Quotes by Driver Profile
Every price listed above is an estimated average premium. This is because auto insurance companies base individual premiums on many variables. Age, driving record, and location within Pennsylvania can all contribute to your car insurance price.
Cheapest Car Insurance in Pennsylvania: Age
Age is one of the biggest factors in car insurance pricing. Young drivers and especially teen drivers typically pay far more for auto coverage than other age groups. In the table below, you’ll find the average rate estimates for Pennsylvania drivers of different ages:
|Driver Age||Average Monthly Rate for Minimum Coverage||Average Monthly Rate for Full Coverage|
Cheapest Car Insurance in Pennsylvania: High-Risk Drivers
Driving history is another key component in Pennsylvania auto insurance rates. Those with clean driving records often receive cheaper car insurance rates and any at-fault accidents or traffic violations such as speeding tickets can result in receiving higher premiums.
How much your driving record impacts your monthly cost varies by car insurer. Below is a list of the top insurers in Pennsylvania and their average minimum-coverage rates for good drivers versus those marked as high-risk drivers.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate for Clean Driving Records||Average Monthly Rate for High-Risk Drivers|
Car Insurance Rates in Pennsylvania: Speeding Ticket
A single speeding ticket can cause a significant rise in your premiums. For Pennsylvania drivers, Travelers tends to offer the cheapest car insurance after a speeding ticket with an average rate estimate of $23 per month or $271 per year. Erie also offers extremely competitive rates for drivers whose recent driving history includes a speeding ticket.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate After a Speeding Ticket||Average Yearly Rate After a Speeding Ticket|
Car Insurance Rates in Pennsylvania: At-Fault Accident
Drivers will also likely see their rates increase if they’re found at fault for a car accident. Travelers generally offers the cheapest coverage for Pennsylvania drivers with a recent accident, with an average rate estimate of $25 per month or $296 per year. State Farm and Erie have relatively inexpensive coverage for drivers with an at-fault accident as well.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate After an At-Fault Accident||Average Yearly Rate After an At-Fault Accident|
Car Insurance Rates in Pennsylvania: DUI
A violation for driving under the influence (DUI) can cause auto insurance premiums to skyrocket. For Pennsylvania motorists with a DUI on their record, Travelers offers average estimates of $25 per month or $305 per year. State Farm and Erie also offer some of the more affordable premiums for these drivers.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate After a DUI||Average Yearly Rate After a DUI|
Average Cost of Car Insurance in Pennsylvania
The average cost of car insurance in Pennsylvania comes out to $439 per year for minimum-liability insurance and $1,753 annually for full coverage. These rates are about 30% lower than the national average for minimum coverage but 8% lower than the national rate for full coverage.
Average Car Insurance Cost in Pennsylvania by City
Where you live in Pennsylvania significantly impacts the auto insurance premiums you’ll be charged. Population density, crime rates, and weather patterns vary between ZIP codes, and you can expect car insurance rates to as well. The table below shows the average rates for car insurance in Pennsylvania’s largest cities.
|Cities in Pennsylvania||Average Monthly Rate for Minimum Coverage||Average Monthly Rate for Full Coverage|
Pennsylvania Minimum Car Insurance Coverage
According to Pennsylvania law, all drivers must either meet or exceed the following minimum coverage requirements:
- $5,000 medical benefits also required
- $30,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $15,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $5,000 property damage liability per accident
Both insurance agents and experts recommend moving beyond state minimum-coverage car insurance policies. Higher limits could protect you from paying large amounts of money out of pocket after an accident. While liability insurance and uninsured motorist coverage are important, they don’t protect against everything.
Collision coverage and comprehensive coverage will cover repair costs after thefts, vandalism, a car accident, or severe weather. Other types of coverage such as personal injury protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage (MedPay) could cover potential medical bills as well.
Cheap Car Insurance in Pennsylvania: Conclusion
The cheapest car insurance in Pennsylvania often comes from Travelers, which has average rates of $19 per month. It’s important to compare auto insurance quotes from various providers, as you could receive more affordable coverage elsewhere.
You may also want to consider the protection of a full-coverage policy. The best rates we found for full coverage came in as low as $72 per month from Travelers. More coverage generally means higher premiums, but also more financial protection and peace of mind.
Best Car Insurance in Pennsylvania: Recommended Providers
While many companies are known to offer reasonable premiums to Pennsylvania drivers, we recommend considering Travelers and Erie as you begin your search for the best auto insurer.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
Travelers: 4.5 out of 5.0
Travelers typically provides the cheapest car insurance in Pennsylvania for both full-coverage and minimum-coverage plans. For many, Travelers may be the best choice for balancing cheap and useful coverage.
Erie: 4.4 out of 5.0
The price estimates for Erie car insurance in Pennsylvania were extremely competitive, nearly matching those from Travelers. That, combined with the company’s reputation and financial strength, makes it an excellent option for those seeking coverage in the Keystone State. Erie is also known to offer safe driving discounts, with 6 choices for Pennsylvania motorists.
Cheapest Auto Insurance in Pennsylvania: FAQ
Which company gives the cheapest car insurance?
State Farm generally offers the cheapest car insurance when it comes to national averages. Drivers in Pennsylvania tend to receive their lowest premiums from Travelers and Erie.
How much is car insurance per month in Pennsylvania?
The average cost of car insurance per month in Pennsylvania is $37 for a minimum-coverage policy and $146 for full coverage. Our team found rates in Pennsylvania as low as $19 per month for minimum coverage and $72 for a full-coverage policy.
How to reduce car insurance in Pennsylvania?
The easiest ways to reduce your car insurance cost in Pennsylvania are by lowering your amounts and types of coverage, increasing your deductible, and seeking out driver discounts. Improving your credit score and bundling coverage with homeowners or renters insurance are other ways to get lower rates over the long term.
How much is car insurance on average in Pennsylvania?
Car insurance in Pennsylvania averages out to $439 per year for minimum coverage and $1,753 annually for full-coverage policies
Is it illegal to drive without insurance in Pennsylvania?
Yes, it is illegal to drive without insurance in Pennsylvania. Expect to receive a misdemeanor if you’re caught driving without coverage and current registration. It’s possible that you could be fined, lose permission to drive, or even face time in prison.
Is it cheaper to pay car insurance every six months or monthly?
You’ll typically get charged less if you pay off your car insurance policy every six months rather than each month. Many auto insurers give discounts for paying policies upfront, though this savings opportunity isn’t universally offered.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car insurance providers.
- Affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team considers auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services and discount opportunities when giving this score.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that a car insurance company offers an array of coverage options. We take into account types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Industry Standing: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, financial strength, and years in business when giving this score.
- Availability: Auto insurers with greater state availability and few eligibility requirements are more likely to meet consumer needs.
- Customer Service: Reputable car insurance providers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We consider complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), J.D. Power claims servicing scores, and customer feedback.
- Online Experience: Insurers with easy-to-use websites and highly rated mobile apps scored best in this category.
*Data accurate at time of publication.