Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
- USAA has the cheapest minimum-coverage car insurance in North Dakota, with average rates starting at $19 per month or $228 annually.
- The cheapest full-coverage car insurance in North Dakota also typically comes from USAA for $85 each month or $1,020 per year.
- The average rates for auto insurance in North Dakota are $36 per month for minimum coverage and $135 per month for full coverage.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
We found the cheapest car insurance in North Dakota from USAA, with minimum-coverage rates averaging $19 per month. You’ll also find some of the Peace Garden State’s most competitive rates from North Star Mutual, State Farm, and Auto-Owners.
We searched through hundreds of lines of cost data along with coverage choices, reputations, and customer reviews to determine which companies offer North Dakota’s top car insurance. While State Farm came in as the state’s best car insurance provider, it’s smart to get quotes from multiple companies to find your lowest rates.
Best Car Insurance Rates in North Dakota
The cheapest auto insurance premiums for North Dakota drivers tend to come from USAA, North Star Mutual, State Farm, and Auto-Owners. Because costs vary by location and driver profile, you may find that your best rates come from another car insurance company.
- Our researchers used cost data from Quadrant Information Services to find insurance premium estimates for different types of coverage, varying driver profiles, and some of the most populated cities in North Dakota. We used this data to determine the cheapest coverage from quality insurance providers, which you’ll find listed in tables throughout this article.
- To determine an overall rating for each top insurance company, our team considers not only affordability but also industry standing, availability, and coverage options. We then factor in the customer experience and online reviews to establish a numerical rating out of the highest possible score of 5.0.
- Unless stated otherwise, estimates reflect the profile of a 35-year-old driver with a clean driving record and good credit history.
- While you’ll find detailed cost estimates throughout this article, we’ve listed out the cheapest car insurance companies in North Dakota for a few driver profiles below:
- Cheapest full coverage: USAA followed by State Farm
- Cheapest minimum coverage: USAA followed by North Star Mutual
- Cheapest for teen drivers: American Family followed by North Star Mutual
- Cheapest for drivers with a traffic violation: State Farm followed by USAA
Cheapest Car Insurance Companies in North Dakota
Below are the providers that offer the best car insurance in North Dakota by mixing competitive rates with exceptional customer service and coverage plans. While USAA has the state’s most affordable rates, we ranked State Farm as the top overall choice for North Dakota motorists.
|Car Insurance Provider||Overall Rating||Average Monthly Rate: Minimum Coverage||Average Monthly Rate: Full Coverage||Number of Discounts|
Cheapest Car Insurance Coverage in North Dakota
The cheapest auto coverage for North Dakota drivers is a liability insurance policy that meets state minimum requirements. However, most insurance experts recommend getting a full-coverage policy that includes injury and property coverage for you and your car.
While full coverage is pricier, it offers better financial protection. If you leased your car or have an active loan on it, your leaseholder or lender may require a full-coverage policy.
Cheapest Minimum-Liability Car Insurance in North Dakota
The average rate estimate for minimum-coverage car insurance in North Dakota is $36 per month or $432 per year. USAA provides the state’s cheapest average rate estimates, with eligible drivers typically paying around $19 per month or $228 annually.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate for Minimum Coverage||Average Yearly Rate for Minimum Coverage|
|North Star Mutual||$23||$276|
Cheapest Full-Coverage Car Insurance in North Dakota
In North Dakota, the average rate for full-coverage auto insurance is $135 monthly or $1,620 per year. The lowest rates across the state tend to come from USAA for $85 per month or $1,020 each year.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate for Full Coverage||Average Yearly Rate for Full Coverage|
|North Star Mutual||$131||$1,572|
North Dakota Car Insurance Quotes by Driver Profile
Expect your rates to look slightly different than the numbers listed above. That’s largely due to the varying factors used by auto insurance companies as they set drivers’ premiums. Your age, driving record, and location will almost certainly play a role in the rates you end up paying.
Cheapest Car Insurance in North Dakota: Age
Age is a major factor in the cost you’ll pay for car insurance in North Dakota. Young drivers and teen drivers in particular typically pay far higher rates for auto coverage than other age groups. In the table below, you’ll find the average monthly rate estimates for North Dakota drivers of various ages.
|Driver Age||Average Monthly Rate for Minimum Coverage||Average Monthly Rate for Full Coverage|
Cheapest Car Insurance in North Dakota: High-Risk Drivers
Expect your driving history to be a key component in your auto insurance prices. North Dakota motorists with clean driving records typically receive cheaper rates for auto coverage while those with at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and DUIs get penalized.
How much these red flags on your driving record impact your car insurance premiums varies by provider. Below are the average rates paid by good drivers with clean records versus costs for those labeled as high-risk drivers.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate for Clean Driving Records||Average Monthly Rate for High-Risk Drivers|
|North Star Mutual||$23||$46|
Car Insurance Rates in North Dakota: Speeding Ticket
Getting a single speeding ticket can cause your monthly rates to increase significantly. USAA, which has an average rate of $23 per month or $276 per year, tends to offer the cheapest minimum-coverage car insurance in North Dakota. State Farm and Nodak Insurance are also competitive options for drivers who’ve been caught going over the speed limit.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate After a Speeding Ticket||Average Yearly Rate After a Speeding Ticket|
|North Star Mutual||$33||$396|
Car Insurance Rates in North Dakota: At-Fault Accident
North Dakota drivers will probably see higher rates if they’re found at fault for a car accident. USAA generally has the cheapest minimum coverage in North Dakota after you cause an accident with average rate estimates of $29 per month or $348 per year. Other companies with relatively cheap coverage for these drivers include State Farm and Auto-Owners.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate After an At-Fault Accident||Average Yearly Rate After an At-Fault Accident|
|North Star Mutual||$39||$468|
Car Insurance Rates in North Dakota: DUI
Premiums for car insurance in North Dakota often skyrocket after a driving under the influence (DUI) violation. State Farm normally offers the lowest rates for those who have a DUI with an average rate of $26 per month or $312 per year. It’s also worth looking into Grinnell Mutual and Nodak Insurance after you receive a DUI in North Dakota.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Monthly Rate After a DUI||Average Yearly Rate After a DUI|
|North Star Mutual||$67||$804|
Average Cost of Car Insurance in North Dakota
The average cost of car insurance across North Dakota stands at $432 annually for minimum coverage and $1,620 per year for full coverage. This means that prices are almost 32% less than the national average for minimum protection and just over 15% cheaper for full coverage.
Average Car Insurance Cost in North Dakota by City
Your location in North Dakota can have a significant impact on your auto insurance premiums. Risk factors such as population density, crime rates, and weather patterns vary between ZIP codes, leading to differences in average rates. The table below shows the average full-coverage prices for different cities across the state of North Dakota.
|Cities in North Dakota||Average Monthly Rate for Minimum Coverage||Average Monthly Rate for Full Coverage|
North Dakota Minimum Car Insurance Requirements
There are relatively strict minimum coverage requirements written into North Dakota law. Drivers must carry the types of coverage and follow the coverage limits outlined below:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability coverage per person
- $50,000 bodily injury liability coverage per accident
- $25,000 property damage liability coverage per accident
- $25,000 underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage per person
- $50,000 underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage per accident
- $30,000 personal injury protection (PIP)
Insurance agents and experts both suggest getting coverage that exceeds what’s required by the North Dakota Insurance Department. Since auto repairs and medical expenses are both getting more expensive, extra coverage could prevent various out-of-pocket bills.
Collision coverage and comprehensive coverage combine to protect your vehicle against instances of theft, vandalism, severe weather, and car accidents. These are extremely helpful for those hoping to minimize surprise bills that could occur because of your car.
Is North Dakota an At-Fault State?
North Dakota is a no-fault state, meaning that drivers will turn to their own auto insurers to cover accident claims regardless of who caused the damages. Drivers in no-fault states must usually purchase PIP to cover bodily injuries, and that’s true of car insurance in North Dakota. While coverage rates are often higher than average in no-fault states, North Dakota is an exception.
Cheap Car Insurance in North Dakota: Conclusion
Through our research, we found that the cheapest car insurance in North Dakota averages $19 each month from USAA. Remember that rates change due to various factors, so Fargo drivers may receive their best rates from a different provider than motorists in Bismarck.
It’s best to at least think about a full-coverage policy, which could offer valuable protection for your vehicle. With rates averaging $85 per month, eligible North Dakota drivers would be wise to consider USAA if they’re looking for greater financial protection and peace of mind.
Best Car Insurance in North Dakota: Recommended Providers
If you compare car insurance quotes from various providers, you’ll likely find a reasonable rate for auto insurance in North Dakota. Make sure to consider coverage from State Farm and the options from USAA if you’re eligible for the company’s services.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code to shop for the best rates in your area:
State Farm: 4.7 out of 5.0
As the country’s largest car insurance company, State Farm has plenty of experience in providing quality coverage to drivers. The company has competitive prices across North Dakota for both full- and minimum-coverage policies, and it has the state’s lowest rates for those with a traffic violation on their records. While State Farm is a sizable company, its local agents can be found all across North Dakota and make services both readily available and personal.
Keep reading: State Farm insurance review
USAA: 4.6 out of 5.0
USAA is known for its superb insurance coverage and generally has some of the lowest rates on the market. This is true in North Dakota, where it’s the cheapest choice for both minimum- and full-coverage plans. While drivers have plenty of reasons to consider USAA, there’s one catch: policyholders must be military members, veterans, or related to one.
Keep reading: USAA insurance review
Cheapest Auto Insurance in North Dakota: FAQ
You’ll find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about auto insurance in North Dakota below.
Which company gives the cheapest car insurance?
State Farm typically offers the cheapest car insurance nationwide. In North Dakota, we found that USAA and North Star Mutual offer the lowest minimum-coverage premiums.
How much is car insurance per month in North Dakota?
The average cost of car insurance per month in North Dakota is $36 for minimum coverage and $135 for full coverage. Our team found rate estimates in North Dakota as low as $19 per month for minimum coverage and $85 for a full-coverage policy.
How to reduce car insurance in North Dakota?
You can reduce the cost of auto insurance in North Dakota by reducing the amount and types of coverage you have, increasing your deductible, and applying car insurance discounts. In the long term, you can decrease premiums by avoiding a poor credit score and by following safe driving practices. Rates may also go down if you bundle a North Dakota auto insurance policy with renters or homeowners insurance.
How much is car insurance on average in North Dakota?
On average, car insurance in North Dakota costs around $432 per year for a minimum-coverage policy. The average cost of a full-coverage car insurance policy for North Dakota drivers is currently around $1,620 per year.
Is it illegal to drive without insurance in North Dakota?
It is illegal to drive without car insurance in North Dakota. You can be charged with a misdemeanor criminal offense for driving without insurance or proper registration, and it’s possible that you could be penalized through fines, loss of driving privileges, and jail time.
Is it cheaper to pay car insurance every six months or monthly?
It’s often cheaper to pay for car insurance every six months than it is to pay monthly. This is because many providers offer a discount for covering your policy upfront rather than over monthly payments. Not every provider offers pay-in-full discounts, however.
Our expert review team takes satisfaction in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car insurance providers.
- Affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team considers auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services and discount opportunities when giving this score.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that a car insurance company offers an array of coverage options. We take into account types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Industry Standing: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, financial strength, and years in business when giving this score.
- Availability: Auto insurers with greater state availability and few eligibility requirements are more likely to meet consumer needs.
- Customer Service: Reputable car insurance providers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We consider complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), J.D. Power claims servicing scores, and customer feedback.
- Online Experience: Insurers with easy-to-use websites and highly rated mobile apps scored best in this category.
*Data accurate at time of publication.